Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-04-2006 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber

Wire Render

Ive seen a few ppl ask about this so im posting up my method

Tutorial: How to do a wire frame render

By pbman
For pbproductions.zoomshare.com

How to do a wire frame render

Select the polygon object at the desire poly count, and apply a Lambert shader. Use the polygons texturing tool set and use automatic mapping option. In the UV Texture Editor take a UV Snapshot ( go UV mode, marquee select everything in the window the do select -> select shell then go polygon -> UV Snapshot and chose location 512x512 for size should be fine, save in traga format.). Open this file in photoshop, an go to channels and ctrl click the alpha channel. The pic should be full of dotted lines. Chose the magic wand tool and right click and chose select inverse. Chose a colour and do ‘alt backspace’ too fill. Now click in the pic so the lines are gone u should see the white frame with the colour backgorund of ur choice. Save this as a jpeg and load into the lambert colour file. Render. There is ur wire frame render.

Note: u may need to change the cameras background colour too see the object better or do this in photoshop after saving render as a traga ect.

How to render the frame only

Assign a lambert to the object. Do a polygon automatic mapping operation. Do a UV Snapshot and save as traga. Apply this traga to the lamberts colour node. AND that’s it just render.(shadows cast will be solid so u need to do shadow maps ect.)

Note: u may need to change the cameras background colour too see the object better or do this in photoshop after saving render as a traga ect.

Hope this helps ney 1

wire render
[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

Pure wire [IMG]user added image[/IMG]

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 2 06-04-2006 , 01:49 PM
Subscriber
thanks dude. helped me alot.

i owe you one..user added image

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 3 06-04-2006 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
no probs m8

# 4 08-04-2006 , 12:34 AM
Well yeah, that's one way to do it, but sometimes, the wireframe sometimes comes out kinda bad and low res. A better way that I find to do it is doing a vector render and setting all of the settings so that it will render out quads, and then you take that wireframe and you composit it in photoshop over a render of the model in non-shaded mode.

Hope that helps

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 08-04-2006 , 12:55 AM
Yeah, the Maya vector is the way to go IMO if your model isn't subd or nurbs in which case I think the technique you've posted, Pbman, would be more suited.

Cheers!

Dave

# 6 09-04-2006 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber
How about you shade your object and enable wireframe on shaded mode, then take a screenshot lol.

Much simpler.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 7 09-06-2006 , 12:40 PM
OR use the hardware render and modify the attritubes to render in wireframe, and it's easy and simple. Then composite in photoshop.

# 8 09-06-2006 , 03:25 PM
Subscriber
or i found a new way of in vector tun on full colour then it renders the wire on u model with txtures n all
or u can just choose a colour

# 9 01-08-2008 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
I think vector is best way personally, btw which year you in and which side of the course you on as I am about to goin to the 3rd yr Bsc side at SMU pbman?

Chris

# 10 01-08-2008 , 09:14 AM
Subscriber
bendingiscool::: i have just finished my first yr and now heading into my second, oh and i am also BSc.

did u just do that assignment for ken russell??

# 11 01-08-2008 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
If you render out as a .png then you get no software background, just transparency and then you can add any color you wish with a photo editing app.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 12 02-08-2008 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
I certainly did pbman, tbh it was a bit of a mess in the end due to his wierd style of films. In the end I personally only worked on a couple of shots so wasn't really too much hassle, I should ask Lori or Scott about what has happened to that. I know that a couple of people on my course have just finished the final 3D parts needed, I'm guessing its been sent off to comp' and editing now.

Chris

# 13 02-08-2008 , 06:04 AM
Subscriber
nice,

how did u find the second year, was it hard? the first year was a breeze for me so i dont know what to expect.
i had loads of free time in the first year, do i expect to have hardly any or is there still quite a bit of space?

# 14 02-08-2008 , 09:37 AM
Subscriber
Ya I know what you mean about the first year, it was quite a doss lol, erm hope you like MEL Scripting as you get to start on thatin second year, you have an exam on it in jan', then some coursework where they ask you to make a certain thing, like, in my case we had to make a city generator with a little window and all that jazz. Tbh I can't really say how your year is going to pad out as we had a wierd one due to the Ken Russell stuff.

Chris

# 15 02-08-2008 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
nice, i like MEL, can only do basic stuff atm like creating windows with basic functions in.
just glad im gonna have less of Phil tbh