Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-03-2016 , 04:04 PM

Issue with default lighting in render veiw

Probably a simple thing, but i'm having an issue with the render view setup. I'm working with maya 2016, and I'm trying to create a model that's textured in such a way that it appears 2d. I've included a toon line to define edges and an ambient light. The model as it appears in the main workspace is fine

user added image

My problem is that when I do a render, the scene is rendered as if lit by the default lighting. I have no idea how to alter this or where the relevant settings are. Can anyone help?

# 2 09-03-2016 , 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
What kind of shader is applied to the aircraft? If you created lights then the default lighting is switched off automatically when you render. That's in the commons tab in the render settings window, under "render options" at the bottom, just in case you want to go in and turn that off at any point. I think the issue is the shader, it looks to be a standard lambert that isn't modified to appear "toonish" in anyway. There are actual toon shader options if you'd rather not create the look manually. They're under the rendering menu set, toon>assign fill shader.

- Genny
# 3 15-03-2016 , 04:39 PM
Perfect. It was a shader issue rather than lighting, thanks for the help.