Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-03-2004 , 01:49 PM

Good first project

Hey. I'm looking for a good first project. I've created a hammer(tutorial) and a hand(tutorial), and now i'm looking for something to create that's not overly difficult, to work on by myself without instructions. If u have any good ideas post them. Thx

# 2 27-03-2004 , 03:03 PM
Go with what you are interested in. Scifi/charachters/archetechture. Playing is the best way of learning.

# 3 27-03-2004 , 03:26 PM

i want to do characers

My intrest is in characters, but i'm thinking that may be very advanced for a first project. Do u think it may be?

# 4 27-03-2004 , 09:42 PM
do a Anime/Manga charachter, they are simple, their are lots of templates on the web.

# 5 28-03-2004 , 12:21 AM
I'm a complete maya noob but i have found modeling the random crap on my desk has helped a hell of alot.

# 6 28-03-2004 , 11:09 PM

hey

whats a anami/manga character? I do like the idea of modeling the stuff on my desk. i think i'll try my game pad or speakers. Thx.

# 7 29-03-2004 , 12:15 AM
a good project " without instructions " ?

hmmm-
yes, as stated above-
Play around with random objects or creations, this way you become familiar upon using your tools and then my advise is:

your local bookstore or online store for a copy of a student learning Maya book of what ever version you have, etc.
I have several from that i've saved from my classes but they do come in handy.

or again-
refer to your maya tutorial links

<-- click
* 3D Animator
* Abstract Designer
* Theme Skinner
* Admin & Owner " FiberOPticz "
# 8 29-03-2004 , 01:16 AM

hey

Student learning Maya 5(my version). is that the actual title? I didn't see that when i searched for books on google. I'll look for it or something close to it. Thx for the advise.

By the way i like ur signature. Cool picture.

# 9 29-03-2004 , 01:20 AM
actually it will say something to the aspect of " learning maya " then i guess you'll have to choose the actual version in refrence, etc. Do you have the Unlimited Maya 3D 5 version ?

<-- click
* 3D Animator
* Abstract Designer
* Theme Skinner
# 10 29-03-2004 , 02:03 AM

no

actually right now i'm using the personal learning addition, because i'm not ready to dish out a ton of cash yet. I want to get expierience first and see how i like it. Anyway, i think i know what i'm gonna do. I'm gonna follow a less detailed tutorial, the kind that doesn't walk you through everything. It's the star wars walker one at Highend3d.com.

I have two questions though. I have a book Maya complete 2 a tiny bit outdated, but concepts are good. Unfortuantly some of the buttons and menues have changed names, so i'm having trouble following its directions on how to get a image in the background. Can someone give me an idea on how to do that.

Secondly, where is the create polygon tool. This is probably a very stupid question, because its probably right infront of me and i just don't see it. Thx a lot.

# 11 29-03-2004 , 02:37 AM
to create a image for your background, I am assuming you mean once you have finished your model right ? Well, go to your Create Tab > Create Polygon Plane... Resize it to your needs... Select the Plane and open its Attributes. From there you want to look for the " FILE " Tab ( option ) on the right, around the Color/Transparency options, etc. Then once you've clicked on the FILE TAB... Select the IMAGE you want for the PLANE, etc.

I have Maya 4.0 & 4.5 Unlimited...so might be a little diff' for 5.0 ?

I also have Maya 2.0 & 2.5 Unlimited-
Contact me:

MSN : silentowl8
AIM : FiberOpticz26

<-- click
* 3D Animator
* Abstract Designer
* Theme Skinner

Last edited by SilentOwl; 29-03-2004 at 02:42 AM.
# 12 30-03-2004 , 02:41 AM

hey

Actually, i was looking for before i make the model as a guide to follow. I don't know if it is the same thing or not. I'll try it and see if it works. Got homework now though. School comes first i guess. thanks. Oh and do u know anything about the create polygon tool. Thanks a lot for ur help. I'll look for u on AIM. I only have express though, parents don't like it. THX.