Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-06-2004 , 12:15 AM

Animation Mentor

For those of you thinking this post was me asking for an... ANIMATION MENTOR (insert dramatic superhero music here), though I could use on and would love one of my own, this post isn't that.

However, I am asking about a website by the same name. I wanted to ask if anyone knew what their tuition costs were gonna be. I'm seriously planning on using their courses if the price is right. I bet they'll be through the roof seeing as how most of the instructors are from ILM, Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, PDI and all of those other terrific studios. Also, if this falls through and I can't afford to study with them, I'd be more than happy to set up a bartering system for one lucky dude here who'd love to be MY personal mentor. LOL! Thanks guys!

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 2 17-06-2004 , 12:46 AM
Lots of good schools out there mate... just do some research on the net and narrow it down...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 17-06-2004 , 12:54 AM
Almost forgot.. they're a new online school starting up this autumn. user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 4 17-06-2004 , 08:50 PM
yeah, i read about that. looks sweet. although nothing can beat an actual school. (as opposed to online)

# 5 17-06-2004 , 08:53 PM
Problem is I can't afford right now to actually attend a physical school to learn any kind of anything. user added image Oh well. Thanks Mr. Carrot for your response. user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 6 22-06-2004 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
Anyone got anymore information than the single video on their site?

# 7 22-06-2004 , 08:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Just wait til September, its gonna be chaos!! Because that looks like a damn good experience whatever the cost!! I'm looking forward to it!!!

Jango

# 8 15-02-2005 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber
Opens this week. Between $13,000 and $14,200.

# 9 16-02-2005 , 12:54 AM
I saw the whole info on this in there news letter- someone posted it on cgtalk. There are 6 classes with each class taking 12 weeks. So basically the whole thing is a little over a year and each class is $2000 except the 5th and 6th class are $2500 so your looking at $14000 total.

There only taking 300 students and there's about 30 mentors i believe. What gets me is since this is online and everything, and the students have to supply everything themselves, why is it so expensive. 300 people x $14000= 4.2 million and would average to about $420000 per mentor because how many expenses can there be since this is online. I don't think it could be that much but then again i could be way off. This has just been puzzling me because i know so many people would want to do this but it is so expensive that they can't. And the prices go up in the fall.

# 10 16-02-2005 , 02:05 AM
Subscriber
Seems they're trying to keep the cost in line with a regular brick and mortar institution. That and many of the mentors are "name" talent, which always demands higher premiums. I agree, it is too bad, because it looks to be a pretty good online course.

HEY! Lets start our own online school! This forum's got enough talent running around it to do classes? Mike, Kurt, nows your chance to branch beyond tutorial based training. The demand is there and the supply is low.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 11 16-02-2005 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber
I don't care how much talent they have, the amount of money they'll be earning is disgusting.

# 12 16-02-2005 , 01:33 PM
Their prices are really no different from any other College or University in the US. This is just more clear for people to figure out how much money people are making on people's education.

Although I too think it's outrageous that they are charging that much, I am seriously considering taking this course once I get a job in the industry. Imagine what something like this would cost in a different school setting. Acadamy of Arts is almost $70,000, Ringling is over $100,000, and Art Center is over $120,000. Even schools like Vancouver Film School, $26,000, and ******, $36,000 are more expensive. $13,000 doesn't seem all that bad in comparison to other schools that teach similar things.

I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of their school though. It's probably going be rough for the first year or two. I'm going to take a wait and see approach to this. As of now I'm focusing on modeling anyway, so I don't really need to learn animation yet. But sometime in the future I will want to learn it, and I definitely don't want to go to a more expensive school to do so.

# 13 16-02-2005 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber
wchamlet..

I was just looking at your website, your work is beautiful.

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 14 16-02-2005 , 02:00 PM
Thank you Lisa. I appreciate that very much. user added image

I'm hoping to have my demo reel done this spring, and I hope some studios think my work is good too! LOL

# 15 16-02-2005 , 05:38 PM
I agree with ckyuk.

Also colleges and universities cost alot more money because you figure your paying for other things around the school like their electric bills and water bills and all the tiny things, that;s why costs are high. I mean i know animation mentor shouldn't be dirt cheap especially for the amount of knowledge that you'll prob pick up, i just don't see why it should be that high.