Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-01-2005 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber

Where to start other than the video tut

Hi there all,
I am posting here to say that I have given up searching for help and it is time to post in here. Lately I tried doing the cartoon dog video tut by Kurt, and was successfull up until connecting the body parts together. Most of the problem was understanding how to keep good polygon quads. I tried the best I could on tring to get the same results to heppen so that I could follow how Kurt made his quads. However that never became successfull.

In addition my plan is I eventually would like to model my own type of cartoon dog. Though here are my questions..

1. Are there other video tuts in here that show better ways of getting good polygon quads, or is this a matter of feel and getting use to?

2. Are there other cartoon dog tuts here? I did a search in this forum and a couple of others did say there where but I can't seem to find them.

3. I see so many others have made there own type of dog and posted them in the W.I.P. Though where are they getting there refs. And please don't tell me that they found them at google because I have spent 2 weeks so far and still have not found anything I am looking for. What I am looking for is a cartoon dog that stands on its hinde legs.

4. In addition to the picture refs, this question is for those who did model a dog. How would you go about doing a cartoon dog? Would you use Nurbs first, and then convert to Polygons or would you model straight in polygon mode and use the create Polygon tool?

5. Also would you imagine the dog in your head and use rough estimates of how the shape should look with the basic primatives, or would you use a reference? And if you do use a reference would use a cartoon dog image, or would you use a photo of a real dog and then try to make it cartoonish?

6. In addition, when I purchased Maya 6 Unlimited it came with a feature trial of SketchBook Pro. Is this something where I could create a drawing of my cartoon dog?

# 2 17-01-2005 , 03:40 PM
user added image he have the same problem as you, also still strugling to get quads correct in the model's but i supose this will just come with practice user added image

Previously i worked only in 2d, with photoshop/flash and I guess the principle is the same, the more time you put it in it, the better you will become.

I don't think you can learn everything from such an advanced program in just a few weeks, although those video tuts does make it easier user added image

# 3 17-01-2005 , 04:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
Don't forget, just like any kind of art, it does take practice! You may know how to use a pencil, but that doesn't mean you can sketch a masterpiece right away. user added image

As for reference, the more reference, the better, in my opinion.

# 4 17-01-2005 , 04:44 PM
Banned

Re: Where to start other than the video tut

In addition to watching the tutorial I also take screen shots of different stages of an object creation. I combine the screenshots in a Photoshop image and print it for reference. I use the hard copy for a quickstep guide of how to use the split polygon tool.

I think it is just a matter of practice and having patience. Sooner or later polygon quads become a normal process.

Good luck junkyBob

AlanA

Originally posted by junkyBob
Hi there all,
I am posting here to say that I have given up searching for help and it is time to post in here. Lately I tried doing the cartoon dog video tut by Kurt, and was successfull up until connecting the body parts together. Most of the problem was understanding how to keep good polygon quads. I tried the best I could on tring to get the same results to heppen so that I could follow how Kurt made his quads. However that never became successfull.....

# 5 18-01-2005 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber

I don't think you can learn everything from such an advanced program in just a few weeks, although those video tuts does make it easier

Yeah I see what you mean. Especially comming from a totally different way of modeling. I used to use Animation Master, which has a total different way of modeling with splines. Animation Master is well known for mostly patch modeling. Basically you start off with a few curves and then you weld the vertices together to make a 4 point patch surface.

In addition to watching the tutorial I also take screen shots of different stages of an object creation. I combine the screenshots in a Photoshop image and print it for reference. I use the hard copy for a quickstep guide of how to use the split polygon tool.

Like wow man, I didn't think of that. thanks I keep that in mind.

Anywho, it seems like its pretty hard to find a cartoon dog that stands on their hinde legs. Any ideas where I can find some references, or some good keywords I could use to search for these types of dogs?