Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-04-2007 , 12:00 AM

Big Mental Ray Problem

Hi,

I seem to have one problem after another...but now it's with mental ray. When I try to render my scene I get this message:

mental ray: out of memory
MEM 0.4 fatal 031008: can't allocate 98756028 bytes.
MEM 0.4 fatal 031008: can't allocate 98756028 bytes.

I don't know the first way to go about solving this. I just got more ram for my computer and have 5gb of free memory on my hard drive.
Please help me user added image !!

# 2 01-04-2007 , 10:29 PM
Hmm... First, how much memory do you have and how complex is your scene? Second, it could have something to do with fualty or incompatible memory. Memory modules are rather sensitive, having two modules from two different brands sometimes causes crashes and other odd things, so that should be the first thing to check.

# 3 02-04-2007 , 04:14 PM
I have 1.24gb of ram and my scene consists of a subdiv model (the thylacine post in WIP). As soon as I added joints to it, it stopped rendering...I've had Maya fur attached to it before but it still rendered just fine. It'll still render with Maya Software, Hardware, and Maxwell but I need to use Mental Ray.
I do have 256mb of ram from a different company, but I installed the 1gb last week, before I added the joints and it still rendered fine. Also, the weird thing is sometimes when I just create a new scene, add any sphere and just ask mental ray to render that, it doesn't work. I just get a blue screen saying it's done. It's really frustrating it seems it just quit on me for good user added image

# 4 02-04-2007 , 05:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Mental ray has several issues with subdivion surfaces check the docs to see exactly what they are , but the jist of it is it won't render a mesh that has tri's and quads in the same mesh.
You can use an approximation mesh though, check this thread out
https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...ion#post166777

# 5 03-04-2007 , 02:22 AM
Hi!

Thank you SO much!! That link for the approximation mesh saved me user added image Messing with that fixed my problem and I can continue working on my model. However I had to set it to parametric instead of length/distance/angle, just a heads up to anyone else who might have the same problem as me sometime.