Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-05-2007 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber

subD attaching problem

Hey guys!

I tried a to mirror subDs and then attaching them. My problem is that by attaching the geometry i get little spaces between the two.
incresing the threshold just f***s up the mesh and the spaces are still there.
its not a display error cause i converted it to polys and looked at border edges.

i tried everything. from duplicating attaching.

converting into polys then combining and merging the verts. but then i get a little seam/hard edge in the middle.

any guess???

# 2 19-05-2007 , 12:33 AM
I'm sorry that I can't say much about SubD's; I've never used them.

However, for the latter part of your post, if all the merging goes well-and-good when you convert to polys, the hard edge can be adjusted be selecting the edges that make up the central "seam," and going to Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Soften/Harden -> Options Box (Maya 7.0).

Smaller numbers (down to 0) make the edges more harsh, defined and obvious; larger numbers (up to 180) smooth it out and make it look more refined.

For Maya 8.0...I'm not 100% certain (I don't use it), but the option is under the polygons menu set, and there are just simply two options in one of the menus; "make hard" and "make soft," or something like that. They're straightforward in what they do.

# 3 19-05-2007 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
thx for the reply but I figured it out.

mirror, attach. after that i switch to poly mode merge the vertices and everything was nice and smooth. after that i converted it into polys.

thx again.

Badger