Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-06-2008 , 10:46 PM

Maya versus Sketchup - speed test?

I like checking out this site here..

https://sketchup3dchallenge.blogspot.com/

gallery of images for one contest..

https://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...+043&scoring=d

It's a site where they have Sketchup modeling contests. One a week. They have some cool stuff on there. But sadly, I'm a noob with both sketchup and maya so I am not good enough to really compete in these things yet. But I was curious how Maya compared speed wise. could the more experienced Maya modelers here make models in a comparable or faster time than Sketchup? Sketchup is supposed to be easier to use so I wonder if it's actually faster or not.

# 2 06-06-2008 , 11:05 PM
i'd say that a long-time Maya modeler could model faster.
I tried sketchbook and it didn't seem logical or intuitive to me.

Maya on the other-hand, is amazingly intuitive, and I think the tools are more well developed to allow speed.

-Andy

(of course, i am not positive)

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 06-06-2008 , 11:39 PM
It would be fun to see 2 guys really good at both run a timed test and see what they come up with.

It probably depends what you are modeling, too.

# 4 06-06-2008 , 11:52 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
are you wanting to compare modellers or software? its like the old debate Maya vs max the debate becomes pointless

# 5 07-06-2008 , 12:42 AM
Just which software is quicker and which one you get the best results with the most quickly.

I think the difference is that Sketchup is supposed to be designed for speed or for ease of use.. but I am wondering if it wouldn't matter for someone really experienced with Maya.

To me, as a layman, it seems like Maya requires more planning.. but I don't know enough about either one to feel confident in saying that for certain.

I am also wondering if you did a week long design challenge with Maya if would work the same, Could you have the same kinds of little contests with Maya and it would work as well or better than the Sketchup challenge site?

Last edited by ExtrudedDingus; 07-06-2008 at 12:45 AM.
# 6 07-06-2008 , 12:46 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I think if you were to match them side by side you'd have to know each as good as each other then set your comparison.

Maya is far more in depth because it does more, sketchup isnt on that level just yet, but its used alot by artists at Massive blacks to bang out concept art

Jay

# 7 07-06-2008 , 02:31 AM

Last edited by ExtrudedDingus; 07-06-2008 at 02:55 AM.
# 8 07-06-2008 , 03:36 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I've never used Sketchup, but awhile back I was Involved in a 12 day contest. In which you were to create 4 Models... A Character, a Vehicle, a Building, and a control (A randomly selected object which everyone competing would have to model)

A Chose a Dalec Human, A Tank, The house from Amityville Horror, and the control was space age chair user added image

I was a able to complete the The First 2, and the last 1, The house on the other hand, was just too complex to complete in the time given.

It was fun!

Anyway, I believe that each package would have It's strengths, and weaknesses, and each would be faster/ slower at certain things accordingly.
Also the modeler Him/her self would be a variable in it all.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 9 07-06-2008 , 04:31 AM
I would like to see what you came up with, Mayaniac.

That sounds really cool. How did others do?