Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-06-2003 , 09:39 PM

June Challenge - Laurie - Noobie

Hi guys im gona give this a go... its gona be heavy duty air/land veichle, here is some concept:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-06-2003 , 09:43 PM
Worked on the main thrusters.. this is my first experience with NURBS ... i actually like them.. never thought i would but there being very kind to me at the moment.. any surgestoins so far.. i dont quite know how to get the tube dents running up the main section.... COS is very powerfull and i think i might use those:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 04-06-2003 , 09:28 AM
Done a bit of work on it this morning.. any comments would be cool =)

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 04-06-2003 , 10:17 AM
Kevin
nice start laurie. So far matches your art.

Nurbs hey! tricky little sods them, but keep going mate and all will be ok

# 5 04-06-2003 , 10:48 AM
Im making my model in NURBs, I like them and Im sick of using polys for the last 2 weeks.

To cut out your indentations; create two circles and project them around the middle of the surface. Then trim out the middle part. Create a cylinder for the lower indented surface and a flat circle for the top and bomttoms of the indented surface.

Alternatively, just insert isospams and cale them inwards.

Last edited by [icarus_uk]; 04-06-2003 at 10:50 AM.
# 6 04-06-2003 , 08:16 PM
thats cool it looks like the spaceship the used in the movie SPACEBALLS haha user added image

Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the person who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express their opinions courageously and honestly.
*Albert Einstein*

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.
George Washington
# 7 04-06-2003 , 09:40 PM
HAHA.. ooh yeh, have to love that film, here is what ive added, its gona have tank track type things so it can move on ground to user added image, but i need big help on how to do those please.. ive seen some other guys do them.. but i dont know how user added image, i dont need them animated just tracks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 05-06-2003 , 09:46 PM
Latest update.. second carrage coming next then cabin then im adding loads and loads and loads of detail.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 06-06-2003 , 09:34 PM
Quick update guys: please comment.. i think im just gona add lots of equipment to the thing now and add detail.. i figured why not spend the time making what i have more interesting instead of extending it user added image I probably wont win but im having great fun doing this and its my first mechanical thing.. ive stuck to organics for ages now.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 06-06-2003 , 09:36 PM
second Piccy

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 06-06-2003 , 10:09 PM
Looks pretty nice so far, like the treds, you were able to stay pretty in line with your sketch. nice start,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 12 07-06-2003 , 02:55 AM
hey, no fair. urs puts mine to shame. Are u sure u should be in the newbie section. Hehe. Good job man.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 13 07-06-2003 , 08:25 AM
I been modeling for a bit, but maya for like a few weeks and the treads where somthing new to me, and trust me, i cant texture for my life (or render) so im really worried about that =(

FX supervisor - double negative
# 14 07-06-2003 , 10:28 AM
Subscriber
I like the treads! Nice.

# 15 07-06-2003 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
one suggestion would be to subdivide the main body some. not necessary smoothing, but more poly count. so the patched are not so big. maybe that is where those lines comes from in renders.