Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 316 02-01-2013 , 12:56 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 317 02-01-2013 , 02:15 AM
Acid44
Just make sure you google for the exact model you want. I've done more than a few completely wrong models from what I was supposed to be doing because of vague google searches.

# 318 02-01-2013 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber
I have looked at those sites in the past and found the drawings to be inadequate to my needs I'll have to keep looking. I am looking for much more comprehensive stuff then they offer. PERHAPS its just not available.

# 319 05-01-2013 , 06:44 AM
Technical Director

I have looked at those sites in the past and found the drawings to be inadequate to my needs I'll have to keep looking. I am looking for much more comprehensive stuff then they offer. PERHAPS its just not available.

Take a look at these two tutorials we provide. The spitfire tutorial works off images much like the ones found on the blueprints site. The Apache tutorial works off very minimal images. Three photos of an assembled toy model, and one side image. The rest is built off images from the net.

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=170&sub_cat=5

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=106&sub_cat=5

Both tutorials are fantastic, and for the price, and the sheer length, you can't beat the Apache tutorial.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 320 06-01-2013 , 10:10 AM
Lifetime Member
If you think that you can get proper spec drawings or othewise please let me know. I have searched high and low for proper documents and you need to pay a lot of money for them....proper blueprints even. The rest after the blueprint is up to Google and a LOT of refs...LOTS. Try and get the model you want, if not get one that is close (ie no prop cowling deforms etc) and then use the refs you have gathered to complete the model.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 321 06-01-2013 , 05:14 PM
The thin red line
Drives me nut trying to find good references, a model Im still working on was looking for a MK4 could only find good references for a MK7 they turned out to be a little off as well.............LOL..........dave

Edit:Just had a thought look for model kit instrucion and look what I found see link

https://www.armorama.com/modules.php?...d=55960&page=1

Last edited by daverave; 06-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
# 322 06-01-2013 , 05:24 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
It depends on the size of the images you are looking for. Sometimes look for specific resolutions as well, as you never know your luck. Dont just type in large or medium. Alot of my stuff has been found at 2k plus sized images. Theres always someone out there who has done something like it. You just have to look

Jay

# 323 08-06-2013 , 05:32 PM
finally back on this after some serious time away.

Been busy with work and just tired from it so 3d after hours has been a no no.

Anyway today just been tweaking this...shoes/boots next

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 324 30-03-2014 , 04:38 PM
hooray an update....been sooo busy at work finishing off Jupiter Ascending...

This must be one of my longest WiP threads!!! Not starting new stuff until this is done.

So looking at the chute and the straps...

cheers

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 325 18-04-2014 , 09:16 PM
update....

J

Attached Thumbnails
# 326 18-04-2014 , 10:42 PM
Technical Director
It might be the angle, but his nostrils look huge user added image

Also, why do you have the extra edge loops at the back of the knee? I would have thought using straight edge loops would be advantageous over radial loops in that area as cloth generally folds in that direction.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 327 19-04-2014 , 12:00 AM
John

1. Probably because the head isnt finished...they are just holes, theres no geo up there...I havent done the 'edges folding back up into the nostrils themselves....so angle or not, its not finished

also check page 15 of this thread...you can see on the profile its 'out' - this is actually my best friend who volunteered to be the pilot so I have to do it right...he's a stickler for detailing too....so....

2. Those loops on the back of the legs.....just a little something Ive picked up from the rigging guys over the last year or so, so its become a habit putting them in on flesh or clothing....it helps to preserve deformation without collapsing front and back. I did all the sailors this way on Michael bays Black sails series...You can see them on the rigging, with ncloth clothing....all looks good!! So Creasing wont be affected, when its a cloth object it would be triangulated before cache. But as this guy will be sitting anyway.....we wont even se the back of the legs

Jay

# 328 24-05-2014 , 07:25 PM
NICE DUDE. the character is interesting, and i see your plane has gone from very simple to more complex, had fun time following this topic, and looking forward for more work and the outcome mate!

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 329 24-09-2014 , 05:50 AM
Life has been busy Im afraid at Framestore on Jupiter Ascending and Guardians of the Galaxy and now Im at Industrial Light and Magic, the projects are even bigger.

it will get finished. Im not one to start a new model with unfinished ones in the pipe...

onwards and upwards

Jay

# 330 24-09-2014 , 07:43 PM
Since when was math censored on this board? What is this? ISIS? Clearly you deleted my post just crunching numbers. I didn't say anything bad or harmful. Only numbers in regards to length of this project. Since you responded to no postings it does show in the very least I did publish something. Posting the days, hours, minutes, and seconds of this projects length. That was all. How was that a violation? To merit me having the post deleted.

Last edited by CollinBishop; 24-09-2014 at 07:56 PM.