Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-02-2006 , 10:00 AM
Subscriber

Cartoon dog tutorial

Hi

Working in maya 7.01

Im having trouble attaching the jaw to the dogs head. I have already attached the the legs and tale to the body with no problem.

After combining the jaw and head. I've tried the 3 attatching methods: Merge Edge Tool, Merge Multiple Edges Tool and Merge Vertices.

1_Geometry before I start

The 2 Merge Edge tool options don't seem to work properly at all, see attached 2 - 3.2

2_Merge Multiple edges

3.1_Merge Edges
3.2_Merge Edges (I cant select a 2nd edge on the jaw)

4_Merged Vertices... seems to work OK until you look where its been attached there is a thick line which normally indicates an edge. Is this correct?

I have a feeling there is somthing wrong with this geometry as these operations work ok with simple surfaces

5_Merge Edges Thick Line
Also is there any way to view "thick lines that indicate the edge on surfaces" with out slecting the merge edge tool?

Any help would be appriciated

Cheers

Wayne

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-02-2006 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
here is the maya file

Attached Files
File Type: mb dog3 test.mb (117.0 KB, 194 views)
# 3 04-03-2006 , 12:45 AM

Re: Cartoon dog tutorial

Originally posted by wr_uk
Hi

Working in maya 7.01

Im having trouble attaching the jaw to the dogs head. I have already attached the the legs and tale to the body with no problem.

After combining the jaw and head. I've tried the 3 attatching methods: Merge Edge Tool, Merge Multiple Edges Tool and Merge Vertices.

1_Geometry before I start

The 2 Merge Edge tool options don't seem to work properly at all, see attached 2 - 3.2

2_Merge Multiple edges

3.1_Merge Edges
3.2_Merge Edges (I cant select a 2nd edge on the jaw)

You should be able to use the merge vertices option. Just make sure you delete the faces where you are merging. And make sure you have combined (polygons>Combine) the two objects together to become one.

Originally posted by wr_uk
4_Merged Vertices... seems to work OK until you look where its been attached there is a thick line which normally indicates an edge. Is this correct?

I have a feeling there is somthing wrong with this geometry as these operations work ok with simple surfaces

5_Merge Edges Thick Line
Also is there any way to view "thick lines that indicate the edge on surfaces" with out slecting the merge edge tool?
Wayne

The thicker edge lines are a display setting under preferences (not shown in the tutorial). It is under the polygon display settings. I can't remember the actual option since I am not on my home machine, but you could set a numerical value for how thick you wanted it. Remember that if you change something and don't like it you can always reset the preferences to their default.

# 4 04-03-2006 , 03:49 PM
Subscriber

clean up

normally wen the border edges stay i do
select the object
polygons-> clean up option box and make sure nonmanifold geometry is selected and hit clean up
aroud that area faces will become higlighted this means it has done the clean up

hope this helps

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 06-03-2006 , 07:39 PM
I'm having trouble opening the movie files, I've downloaded the latest codex and still nothing, any help with this please?

# 6 05-04-2006 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber