Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-02-2007 , 11:01 PM

translate, rotate, scale problem

Ok, so I had Maya 8 on my computer. I then reformatted my computer and reinstalled Maya 8. Now, after doing some modeling and stuff, I noticed that I couldnt rotate or scale while in any view besides perspective. I can translate just fine in all the views. But when in Top View or something, and I select an object, and then click either rotate or scale, nothing comes up except faint gray lines with faint gray boxes on the end. I cant select these gray lines or anything. Now, when on my school's computers, I can rotate and scale in any view. This is REALLY annoying. Is there some setting I messed up? THanks.

Update: I renamed the maya folder in My Documents to force maya to create a new one. Now, I can only Rotate in Top view and not in Perspective. And I can only Scale in Perspective. WHAT IS GOING ON!?!

Last edited by ericed; 20-02-2007 at 11:23 PM.
# 2 30-04-2007 , 09:16 PM
This is exactly the problem I have. Anyhow If I sort it out I'll let you know. I've heard that it's a bug with Maya 8, I've also heard that it's a problem with some graphics cards.

# 3 30-04-2007 , 11:46 PM
Senior Software Developer
As far as can remeber this issue was resolved by installing the Maya 8 Bonus Tools and any updates that came with it. Grab them at www.the-area.com

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)