Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-09-2008 , 11:37 AM

Mazda 2 W.I.P

Started a yesterday on my new project after a long time off.

user added image

My Website
PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN
# 2 14-09-2008 , 12:41 PM
Looks nice so far!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 14-09-2008 , 01:27 PM
The Nurb Herd
so far so good, i see a couple of 5 sided polys and a couple or tris tho...

# 4 14-09-2008 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
As hammer.horror mentioned there are few tri's etc that you should probably sort while your still at a low poly version, the areas around the door handles coule be sorted quite quickly just by putting a ring of polygons around the the handle area of the door, not sure how to explain it better but I'm sure you catch my drift.

Chris

# 5 14-09-2008 , 09:24 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looks good aleg8r,

You shouldn't have to worry about the tris and 5 sided polys. Edge termination isn't usually recommended, but I use it all the time. Once you subdivide the mesh for rendering, all of these issue will be dealt with. As long as you place them wisely (such as on long flat area, or areas that are not going to be seen) You should be fine. Done place them on Curves or rounded areas, Or areas where several forms might meet/intersect.

Nice model.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 14-09-2008 , 09:46 PM
As Myaniac said, with an inorganic you dont need 100% quads, well you dont really need 100% quads anyway, wise placement's the key, ramble over! If you are going to have them in organics, place them somewhere that doesnt animate much.

After seeing Alig8r's models in the past I get a feeling he knows when and where he can get away with tris etc, especially on cars.

# 7 15-09-2008 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber
I have to agree....one of the best car modelers I've seen....L.G......he always uses tris and if you seen his work...you'll be blow away....all his cars are super smooth and anyone who goes on cg-cars or sektor can agree with that........its all bout placement and knowing when yo use them.......usually bumps come from trying to do too much without enough mesh flow like for instance trying to cut out door handles....if you have a lot of edges plced properly...it makes it less likely to get any bumps or pinches.......also...after seeing al8gers work from the pst....hes had some smooth models so I trust hell get it right

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 8 15-09-2008 , 06:56 AM
The Nurb Herd
cool, i'll keep checking this thread then. I've been curious about models that use tris and 5 sided polys. user added image

# 9 15-09-2008 , 08:04 AM

Originally posted by hammer.horror
cool, i'll keep checking this thread then. I've been curious about models that use tris and 5 sided polys. user added image

Check out Steven Stahlberg's works, he uses tris and the occasional 5 sider in his organics to great effect, and he's one of the most respected organic modelers about.

# 10 15-09-2008 , 09:30 AM
Update:

user added image

My Website
PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN
# 11 22-09-2008 , 03:51 AM
Update:

user added image

My Website
PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN