Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-02-2009 , 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Interior

Ok, so I got sucked into experimenting with the MR physical sky + interiors, I put this scene together rather quickly and I'm coming to the conclusion that the physical sky only makes sense if you have large enough open areas. I think I've found decent settings as far as the FG goes but I think I've stared at this too long to detect blotches in the rendered result. Do you guys see any? (especially on the walls).

user added image

- Genny
# 2 26-02-2009 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
I like it!
Its a bit dark at the moment but i cant seem to see any blotchy parts. Rea life *from a quick scan of my surroundings* seems to have blotchy lighting sometimes anyways so i wouldn't get too fussed with that.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 3 27-02-2009 , 12:25 AM
The door looks pretty tight fitting, is it supposed to be like that? Also, it took me a second to realize there was step up to the door, but it might be because there's not much light in the room. The scene looks really good though, nice job!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 27-02-2009 , 01:06 AM
The Nurb Herd

Re: Interior

Originally posted by GecT
[B]I put this scene together rather quickly and I'm coming to the conclusion that the physical sky only makes sense if you have large enough open areas.

i think it was originally developed for architectural lighting. I find it odd when people use it to light their models like and occlusion render.
As an experiment you could use your FG with a poly plane and surface shader to light some of the scene.... might be interesting. user added image

The scene looks cool tho. the lights are a bit elongated for my taste tho user added image

# 5 27-02-2009 , 07:59 AM
Yeah, it's pretty good for outdoor lighting, with tweeks though!

Nice work on the interior Genny, as people have said there's a couple of small things that you may want to tweek a touch, if your going to put in in a portfolio, if your just testing out lighting then, well its up to you!

I keep thinking of doing an interior but can never figure out what I want to do??...

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 27-02-2009 , 08:32 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
God gec t this stuff comes easy to you...i actually like it

# 7 27-02-2009 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber
i was gonna say... those lights look really distorted and flat, but then i realised that the style of the shade is funky

can't really say anything about the lighting as i havent had much to do with it

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 27-02-2009 , 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
SomeGuy - Thanks, it was just getting near to impossible to tell, I was squinting, rotating the image etc, so I figured I'd just ask someone else instead of waiting on hindsight to kick in ><

Perfecto - honestly, I didn't give a lot of thought to it lol it just kind of happened so the majority of the models were dropped in there from my library minus the door and room.

hammer.horror - Yeah I know and I also find that odd, but its a one button thing so expect that to happen :p

Steve - Thanks! I won't put this in the folio, next thing that's going in there is something organic (crosses fingers) the boyfriend has been bugging me to get back on that wagon :/ Why don't you make your dream home studio? ^_^(I'm being so serious btw)

murambi - lol Thank you but after so much trial and error you start to guesstimate the settings much better (finally less headache yay)

Chirone - Yeah I agree about the lights, I think its camera distortion, I made some tweaks and I'm doing more renders.

This isn't a new render just tweaked in Photoshop, I want the room bout this bright.

user added image

- Genny
# 9 28-02-2009 , 10:10 AM
Dunno, I like old things really, but Ive got some friends that I probably could do visulisations for for modern stuff as some freelance, though with my new job I wont get any time tbh, as i'll be doing lots of other stuff instead (more on the programming/plug in/scripting side).

I went in this lovely victorian pub the other day and that gave me an idea to do something like that, still got to finish me Cenobite though!!

If you need any advice/crit/comments when your starting off the organics, give me a shout.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 28-02-2009 , 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
I hear you, can't spread yourself too thin. I just might be bugging you when I start on it user added image. I'm having a bit of fun with this though, messing around with the camera. Low qual test -->
user added image

- Genny
# 11 28-02-2009 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
that is some funky distortion!

how'd you get it?

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 12 01-03-2009 , 11:24 AM
Subscriber
That's pretty cool.
Something fun to do is to just add a few point lights to the room with shadows ext and render them animated and flying around the room. Kinda pointless but it looks really cool cause it shows off all the light bouncing and render effects.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 13 01-03-2009 , 11:52 AM

# 14 02-03-2009 , 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Chirone - I just made a mirrored sphere and rendered a close up of that.

Some Guy - I'd probably do that with glowing spheres ( I like glowing crap lol ;p) to test out this flicker free FG.

lealer - Thank you user added image And I remember seeing that thread some time ago, I am messing with IP but they're driving me nuts.

- Genny
# 15 02-03-2009 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
Chirone - I just made a mirrored sphere and rendered a close up of that.

that is clever