Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-03-2003 , 10:50 AM

What should be a simple "snap to" problem.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and it is a frustrating problem I have here. I have a nurbs model that I created by cutting off the top and bottom of a nurbs sphere and deforming it. I then split the resulting shape down the middle so I could further edit it then later mirror it to form the whole model.

The problem I am having is that I accidentally moved some of the cv's beyond the axis that I wish to later mirror it around. So what I want to do is move the offending cv's only in the x direction and have them snap to the grid. I know that I could ignore this and use the merge vertice tool after I mirrored the obect but I would prefer to learn how to do this for future reference plus the fact that the maya manual says how to do this but I can't get it to work. Below is an except from the Maya manual.

Snapping along a constraint axis
You can constrain object positioning along a particular axis.

If you turn on snapping and drag a Move Tool manipulator arrow (as opposed to dragging the pivot point), Maya uses a combination of the snap and the axis constraint.

If you are using grid snap, Maya snaps to the nearest grid line along the specified axis.

If you are using point snap and grab the end of the arrow, the manipulator has an initial jump because the center of the manipulator (not the tip) follows the mouse position.

It is useful to snap to an axis when you want to align a group of vertices to a particular Y position

What I do is select a cv in the top view, hit w for the move tool, hold down x, grab the red move arrow, drag the cv towards the grid line, and nothing happens. It slides along without any sort of snapping.

I can get it to snap to the grid points which is not what I want. I want the grid lines as it mentions in the except from the maya manual.

Thanks in advance for any help.

# 2 28-03-2003 , 10:57 AM
click the move tool twice, and select WORLD

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 3 28-03-2003 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
you can also hold down W and press left mousebutton and choose WORLD from the marking menu user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 4 28-03-2003 , 01:10 PM
Thanks a lot! That worked.