Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-09-2002 , 09:12 AM

subdivisions performances

maya runs so slow when editing vertex in polygon proxy mode.
Is there a way to increase performances ?
Is maya fully multithreaded ?
thanx

# 2 14-09-2002 , 06:15 PM
SM Tea Boy
I would assume Maya is multithreaded without taking a look at the code i couldn't tell ya and some how i really don't think Alias|Wavefront are going to give me a copy of the source.

Might help if you post your system specs maybe some benchmarks one mans slow is a another mans ultra speedy.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 25-09-2002 , 08:21 AM
Maya is not fully multithreaded. You need very powerfull CPU for sofisticated SubD modelling. But what I use in this case is modeling without displaying poly proxy cage and it is fast enough user added image But if you plan to animate Subd geometry using any deformer or binding it to skeleton, solve this problem on poly proxy base(with animating and other deformers for char. setup) and then bind SubD to skeleton and copy skin weights to Subd from poly proxy model, etc. ... I think you know about these methods enough ...

# 4 25-09-2002 , 11:52 PM
From what I understand, Maya 4.0 and above is Multithreaded for rendering.

Not sure about modeling etc.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 26-09-2002 , 09:11 AM
Yes, IPR render a nd final render are multithreaded ...

# 6 16-10-2002 , 04:50 PM
I once heard someone say to expand your subd nodes in the hypershade and delete the blind data nodes. Apparently its supposed to speed up the process esp. in poly proxy mode. Mind you, i don't really know what the hell deleting those nodes does or if it will cause problems down the line.
On the few occasions that i've tried this i have noticed a significant performance improvement.

# 7 10-11-2002 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Grooveholmes
I once heard someone say to expand your subd nodes in the hypershade and delete the blind data nodes. Apparently its supposed to speed up the process esp. in poly proxy mode. Mind you, i don't really know what the hell deleting those nodes does or if it will cause problems down the line.
On the few occasions that i've tried this i have noticed a significant performance improvement.

expand subd nodes? delete blind data? can you possibly explain that in more detail?

and is it possible to work on the poly proxy w/o the constant updates on the subd level?