Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-03-2007 , 04:40 AM
Jr.Who

Tablets

Hey guys,

IÕm looking for a tablet thatÕs cheap, works well (good quality and wonÕt break), and works for Mac. WhatÕs the best brand and what size should I look for?

IÕm currently watching a Wacom Graphire 4" x 5" thatÕs going for about $30 on eBay, but thereÕs an 8" x 6" for about $33 (although itÕll probably go up soon).

Any suggestions?

-Jr.Who user added image

# 2 16-03-2007 , 07:25 AM
Subscriber
I have a wacom 4x5 and havent had any problems to now. I used to use it religiously on making flash animations but now I mostly use it for its pressurizing capabilities when texturing on photoshop. I havent had the need to go much larger. but sometimes my pen does tend to go out the drawing section but isnt much of a problem for me. but for the extra 3$ I would definitely go for the larger one. I bought this one for 200$ at microcenter:shakehead

# 3 16-03-2007 , 05:04 PM
Jr.Who
I forgot to mention that the 8" x 6" isnÕt a Wacom.

Correct me if IÕm wrong (because IÕve never seen a real tablet in person), but on the tablet screen does it show whatÕs on your monitor? user added image

# 4 16-03-2007 , 08:22 PM
Subscriber
no
uness u pay lik £1000 for it
all u get for standard is the pressure sensitive pad

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 18-03-2007 , 02:59 PM
Wacom are the best, split into two main lines; intuos and graphire. The former are professional ones and the latter are less so, but still good. Trust also do a range but I don't know much about them. I have been after a wacom intuos3 A4 for a while, but I always get outbid user added image

That said, looking at the prices in the US and the excellent exchange rate (for people not in the US) I should be able to get one vastly cheaper in the states than I can here (then get someone to send it over)

Last edited by Radical Edward; 18-03-2007 at 03:11 PM.
# 6 18-03-2007 , 06:56 PM
Jr.Who
Well, just got outbid on a Wacom tablet (4" x 5" Graphire 3) and not very happy. :shakehead It went for about $60.

Anyway, IÕm looking at TigerDirect, and thereÕs a Adesso Cybertablet 6400 6" x 4" tablet for $52. Is this a good quality one, or will I regret getting it?

HereÕs the link:
https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8849&CatId=140

# 7 19-03-2007 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
I'm using a wacom intuos (A5) and it was one of the best investments I have made so far. I've worked on an graphire A6 before and I thought i was a bit too small. So if you can afford to go one number bigger do it. Size does matter especially when you use the tablet to draw a lot (painter, photoshop etc) For modeling, weight painting... in maya the size probably doesnn'T make a huge difference. It'll take you a while to get used to it especially in 3D, but once you've got the hang of it you'r mouse will start to collect a thick layer of dust.

# 8 25-03-2007 , 10:23 PM

Tablet

I use the Addeso 6400 and it works fine, only problem is that the pressure sensitivity does not work in PS for some reason. It says on the box that it has been tested with PS, and is even sold in a bundle sometimes.

Don't ask me why but it works just fine in all the cheapo or freeware programs like "Gimp". I have looked everywhere and have not found anybody else with this prob so it may just be a setting or something.

Oh don't count on using the mouse that comes with these tablets it is really cheap and very difficult to use. Tablets are the greatest tools when it comes to concept art or texturing even if the pressure sensitivity doesn't work user added image

Nathan

RAM disk is not an installation procedure.
# 9 26-03-2007 , 03:27 AM
are tablets good to use in maya?

# 10 26-03-2007 , 03:34 AM
I dont use my Tablet at all in maya really, unless I'm using the artisan tools to do some serious adjustment where I need the control (a mouse usually does the trick), but I would say if youve got Z brush its a must! also in PS it makes a lot of things easier when painting textures 9pretty obvious really) as youge treally good control, as I said Z brush its a must as you get realy good sculpting control.

Ive got a simple cheap Trust tablet, think it was about £30, 512 pressure levels etc. really good for the price and more than enough for me. The mouse is rubbish though, if youve hover over a button and left click it the pointer jumps!! so its pretty much unusable!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 11 26-03-2007 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
I need a cheap intuous user added image

At the moment I have a volito and it's I think the absolute worst thing that wacom make. With that said, it's not totally useless - at least it's a proper wacom so I dont get these incompatibility isssues.

# 12 26-03-2007 , 06:48 PM
Jr.Who
I got the 6400, and it works fine. It took me about a day to get used to the pressure thing, but I wish you could turn it off if you wanted. I don't think the F keys work. I set them up to my keyboard F9, F10, F11, and F12 (ExposŽ and Dashboard), but when I hit them nothing happens. user added image

I'm only having one problem, and it's a big one. I went into PS and started writing out my name (Steven) and went back to cross the T, and there's this huge lag. After about 10-20 seconds it finally crosses the T. The funny thing is, it only does this in PS, which was the main reason I bought the tablet. Anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix it? user added image

# 13 26-03-2007 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
the only thing i can help you with is the pressure thing. if you are in photo shop choose the pencil tool and make sure the setting is on normal. instead of brush. im not sure if this will help.

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 14 28-03-2007 , 12:31 PM

Originally posted by gster123
I dont use my Tablet at all in maya really, unless I'm using the artisan tools to do some serious adjustment where I need the control (a mouse usually does the trick), but I would say if youve got Z brush its a must! also in PS it makes a lot of things easier when painting textures 9pretty obvious really) as youge treally good control, as I said Z brush its a must as you get realy good sculpting control.

Ive got a simple cheap Trust tablet, think it was about £30, 512 pressure levels etc. really good for the price and more than enough for me. The mouse is rubbish though, if youve hover over a button and left click it the pointer jumps!! so its pretty much unusable!

I'm after one more for the texturing than anything else. I have no problem with maya and a mouse, but painting textures in photoshop is a pain in the proverbial backside.

# 15 04-04-2007 , 03:25 PM
Jr.Who
Adesso released a new driver, and it fixed the problem I was having in PS. :attn: