Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-10-2007 , 07:38 AM

Creating a base bump for skin + converting fractal to file

Hi,

I'm texturing at the moment, and having trouble creating a base bump map. Not wrinkles and spots and so on - just a base bump for the whole skin. I've tried using grain and noise in photoshop but can't get the result I want. I've had a little success with maya's fractals, but would like to be able to covert them to a file to use in photoshop.

2 questions:

First, how can I create a basic base bump in photoshop? What filters etc would you recommend?

Second, how can I convert a maya fractal to a file texture? I've tried it, but I believe maya thinks I am trying to convert all the textures. I've tried the help files, and they're a little vague on this - broad explanations of what the conversion does, but not how to apply it to specific textures.

Thanks,

gubar

# 2 15-10-2007 , 01:51 PM
Don't really need any photoshop filters specifically.

If you wan to work with procedurals you could design one that lets say matches the effect you want on the chin, then bake and blend it to others you have baked in photoshop. To do this just use the standard tools, nothing special going on here.

Make sure you have a gray wash for your bump etc and when you apply the different baked procedurals either set them to darken or lighten the layers below.
Then just use a relatively low opacity eraser tool to merge them together.

As far as how to bake you just want to go to your hypergraph select the poly surface, select the texture node and hit edit> convert to file texture.

# 3 15-10-2007 , 09:58 PM
Thanks for the post,

now I see how you convert the fractal to a file texture. Unfortunately, it is not doing it how I want; I thought that if I did it, the bump would be identical to what I had. It is different, very course, so that the peaks and lows are larger. I've tried altering the bump value, bump filter etc, but it seems to be the bump itself is different.

Shouldn't the result be identical, and if it should what am I doing wrong?

thanks,

gubar.

# 4 15-10-2007 , 10:54 PM
You probably need to make some custom bump maps, theres quite a few good tutorials on the net for creating facial textures (Dr Julians texturing tut for one)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 15-10-2007 , 11:21 PM
Hi gster,

that's the tutorial I've been foloowing (Dr Julian's). He uses procedural textures converted to files to be used in photoshop.

I fall at the first hurdle since after I convert them, they look nothing like they did as procedurals. All the fine detail and subtlety is lost.

Anyone help?

thanks,

gubar