Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-09-2014 , 12:29 PM

Transformer Effect Car

Hi guys. im very new to Maya and am just finding my bearings.

Im trying to reproduce a transformer effect from one object into a car, as seen here https://youtu.be/DsPf59deeGY.

my question is this, im about to start building my car, im assuming that i will have to build it in sections, ie in the video the the bonnet splits in 2 so will i have to build those parts of the car or can i buy a car rig online and easily split it?

i hope this makes sense.

# 2 05-09-2014 , 03:38 PM
Lifetime Member
This is over ambitious for someone new to Maya, a seasoned pro would find this a challenge.
Car modeling in general will take time for you to master and again is a little above your current skill level, i would start off with something easier like modeling something on your desk so you can learn the tools.
In answer to your question you can model the car in pieces if you have an idea of how you need to animate it or you can model it as a whole and break it apart once its complete.There is no right or wrong way just whatever gets you there.

You have a lot to learn and it will take time and you may never master all you need.
Modelling .Texturing,Rigging and Animation are all fields in their own right and require different skill sets.
Sorry i don't mean to sound negative but you really do need to learn to walk first before you enter a marathon.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 08-09-2014 , 01:56 PM
Thanks for your comments, I realise that this is an ambitious step, but I suppose being ambitous is a great way to learn. I have been watching loads of online tutorials so far and am cutting my teeth on lots of little projects so I feel in better position everyday.

But thanks for your comments its always much better to hear how it is.

# 4 08-09-2014 , 04:35 PM
Lifetime Member
No problem , we are happy to help anyway we can .
If you set your sites too high you might get disconcerted and give up, You will be amazed at how quickly you can learn with practice and the help you get here so hang in there .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner