Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-07-2009 , 03:04 AM
Ironegg

Duplication. Reflecting an Object/ Inverting it?

I've been modeling half of the object, and when Kurt duplicates it, the other half is already inverted and ready to go. In my case however, it simply duplicates right on top of the original, and I'm trying to invert it/reflect, and transform it and what not, but i dont understand how. I just want to have the other identical half.

I see the duplicate special and duplicate transform options, is it one of those? Or mirror? When i mirror it, it seems to act kinda weird, maybe its a setting i have it on, but its the closest i've had. Im sorry, im sure its pretty simple, but i cant figure it out.

If anyone can direct towards an operation that reflects an object, that would be very helpful. Thanks!!user added image

# 2 01-07-2009 , 07:10 AM
I dont understand by "acting kind of weird"...

Follow this,
1. Align the model with the axis.Because u wanna mirror with respect to it.
2. Select the move tool
3. Press the INSERT button.
4. Snap the Pivot point with the axis by pressing x and mouse middle button(this button is to snap with grid)
5. go to edit>Duplicate special
6. reset settings
7. Now figure out on which direction u wanna reflect the object.If u wanna reflect the object on negative x, then add a negative sign before the 1 in the next box of "Scale".For y axis go to the 2nd box and for z axis use the last one.
7. Press Duplicate Special.

If u still face problem try deleting the history before duplicating.

# 3 01-07-2009 , 04:48 PM
Ironegg
Holy crap thanks so much! Yeah, thats tight. I knew it was something simple.

Alright thank you once again. I can finally finish this beast!

~Nick