Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-02-2003 , 04:58 AM
Subscriber

constraints ?

I have been playing with constraints for the animation of a rotating crankshaft,rod and piston. I figured out how to constrain the rod to follow the crank but I can't figure out how to make the piston follow the rod only up and down. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is a copy of the file.

# 2 28-02-2003 , 11:53 AM
Hi Charlie, it took me a while to figure it out, but all you needed to do was:

1. point constrain the piston to the rod

2. then use the point constraint offset in the Y axis to move the piston back up where it should be (because it jumped to the pivot of the rod)

3. then if you break the pistons X and Z connections to the point constraint, it only moves up and down!

Unfortunately I can't attach the file because I use Maya 4.5, but did you get what I mean?

# 3 01-03-2003 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber

works great!

Thanks for the help JOZVEX that is exactly what I was trying to do.Thanks agian.user added image