Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-12-2006 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber

modeling a head

hey guys, im making a head model again... its still w.i.p, ived spent about 3 hours on it and yeah. ived still got alot of work to do such as fix the eyes, ears, nose, mouth and define more detail in the head. just wondering can anyone else spot out some stuff which need to be fixed up, thanks ... marlon

here are some pictures i have just taken with printscreen, (wireframe pictures are subdiv not polygon)

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 14-12-2006 , 10:01 AM
Acid44
i like the aggressive look your giving him it looks good

im not much for human anatomy (of males at least) so i got no crits at this point:bow:

# 3 14-12-2006 , 10:12 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by acid44
i like the aggressive look your giving him it looks good

im not much for human anatomy (of males at least) so i got no crits at this point:bow:

thanks for the reply, yeah i wanted him "the model" to have an agressiveness look i think i pretty much nailed it quiet a bit user added image

marlon

# 4 18-12-2006 , 07:29 PM
Hi,

I can't help you with Maya as i've just begun myself but for the anatomy i think the jaw line might be slightly to femine. You could make it less 'rounded'. I also think the nose might be a bit to small compared to the rest of the face. Other then that looks really very good user added image

# 5 18-12-2006 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Fungus
i think the jaw line might be slightly to femine. You could make it less 'rounded'. I also think the nose might be a bit to small compared to the rest of the face. Other then that looks really very good user added image

hey fungus... haha yeah the jaw line is too defined, i kinda went abit overboard when i was doing that lol. i also agree with the nose, its too small. ived gotta also fix up the nostiles because they are too straight and looks like they dont have meat in them if you get what i mean. thanks for the comment buddy, marlon ...

# 6 18-12-2006 , 07:44 PM
Hey no problem user added image

About the nostrils. Perhaps there a bit to high. Not on the nose itself but there rather placed that you can look into the nostil to much. At least that's what i think of it. Hope your not adding to much hair into them :blush:

# 7 19-12-2006 , 08:27 AM
Wow really nice, and at three hours? That's just amazing! user added image

# 8 19-12-2006 , 08:46 AM
Looks like a goos start, I think that you've got some edge loops that you can delete to make it more efficent.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 19-12-2006 , 10:43 AM

JUST AN EDGE LOOP THING

I LOOKED AT IT HEAPS FOR MY OWN NODEL AND HAVE BEEN STARING AT FACES OBSESSIVLY FOR MONTHS NOW BUT I HAVE WORK ED OUT ( PROBABLY JUST INVENTING THE WHEEL AGAIN BUT HEY) THESE EDGES ARE ESSENTIAL FOR FACE TOO WORK WE ALL GET FOLDS ALONG THESE LINES AND YOU CANT MAKE THE FOLDS WITHOUT THE EDGES SO...
THATS MY 2 CENTS WORTH

Attached Thumbnails

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 10 19-12-2006 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
Bruce, is your keyboard goosed or is your eyesight that poor you insist on always using capital letters in your replies?

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 11 19-12-2006 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber
@ weyu - thanks and yeah it was all 3 hours =)
@ gster - yeah i think i added abit to much edge loops as you can tell.. thanks for point that out dude,
@ bruce - yeah i agree bruce, i think maybe later i should change my geomertry and start to get in more detail and show the (nose to the end of mouth crease, dont know what its called) etc.
@ 5ive - haha yeah, i always see bruce using capital letters in replies now ...

thanks for the replys guys =)
Marlon.J

# 12 19-12-2006 , 08:09 PM

Hi sorry i didnt think it mattered

these new fangled computies ... so many buttons ... wouldnt of thought one small button press could have such a cascading effect:p

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 13 01-01-2007 , 02:21 PM
Acid44
anywhooo...im not sure if its just the angles of the pictures but the eyes look like their just smashed into these gaping holes in his head...

also the chin is HUGE i think it should be smalleruser added image

# 14 01-01-2007 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber
"could have such a cascading effect"
haha bruce... it looks like your shouting when i read it though lol :p

lol acid, ill update some time this week or next... was busy all last week and the other with christmas thats why, you know how it is lol.. yeah ill change the chin and eyes to make it look more normal.

# 15 01-01-2007 , 08:23 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Marlon John

A good effort, but my advice would be to have a lower mesh at this stage to tweak etc until the form is right. You still have the ear to build and those are not easy by any standard, and with all this geometry....

Jay