Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-02-2007 , 10:13 AM

simulating threads!!can anone help me!!!

hi,
i try to work with hair dynamics...
basically i would like to simulate the mechanical behaviour of threads in a braided fabric...say interwovening of 4 threads as a unit and apply forces on all sides to simulate the deformation of threads as we pull a fabric in x y direction by hand.it consists of two sets of parallel threads running at 90 0r 45 degrees and inter woven between them as we can see normally in all cloths.while pulling i wanted to see how the sections deforms (mechanical behavior)
can any body give some suggestion on how i can do this in maya!!!
here is my try!

I used curves into dynamic curves...extrude surface on them with a radius.i dont know how i can make different hair systems collide each other with a collision of offsets...means curves of individual hairs should not cross each other witnin their radius of hair.
i tried with single hair system including four interwoven dynamic curves. i try to simulate as 2 forces acting in perpendicular direction to the unit.but i am unable group 2 of them to one force and other 2 of them to an another force.since its a single hair system, i am unable differentiate forces between folicles...
i tried also with four hair system ment for each one thread and applied forces to them seperately in 2 dirrection as we pull the material by hand in xy direction and i try to animate but those curves r crossing each other while collide and doesnt look more real...even i gave collision between the hair system and the extruded surfaces.and i couldnt abl to simulate the sectional deformation.
pls help me if u have some suggestion!!!
it will be a greate help if any one give some idea!! on that
regards
dhurghai

# 2 25-02-2007 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber
lost me in the first sentence but just wanted to say, maya does not simulate anything, it just does what it is told and copies, eg.., the lights are not a simulation, they are are only colours connected, or something like that, but definitely not a simulation. probably I am way off base here and right over my head.

good luck with it all. sounds very complicated.

user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 25-02-2007 , 11:20 PM
You might be able to do it with softbodies with goals and springs as these would allow the collisions between the threads as you push and pull them.

Mirek - Maya can simulate things, the accuracy of which when compared to a real movement may be in some doubt but it can simulate interactions between objects as its dynamics calculations are all real world physics based with the objects properties (in dynamic simulations) based in meters per sceond, mass in Kg's etc etc (althought some area bit ambiguous to be honest!) but the basis is there.

Like I said the accuracy of the simulation might be off but its a good starting point for a demo.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 26-02-2007 , 01:19 AM
Subscriber
thats pretty amazing , when you put it that way it makes sense. Light is somewhat in doubt though. have to tell it what to do.
user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 26-02-2007 , 11:22 PM
hi,
yes i have tried in ncloth,its a kind of working...i produced something but as u said its not as it happens in real material.may be i am not instructing the model properly!!
i am looking at something nonlinear way...as it happens in normal tension or compression deformation in a normal material form...(like breaking a stick-first it resists and it starts yeilds to a point and breaks)
here i attached my try in ncloth with this...in this 2 threads in in feild and other 2 react to the collision of of them.
can u pls give ur suggestion on that.how i can make it more real
thank you

Attached Files
File Type: rar my try.rar (190.5 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by dhurghai; 26-02-2007 at 11:25 PM.