Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 91 05-07-2008 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
This is absolutely fantastic stuff!

Im still on space ships because the organic stuff requires real talent.user added image

free memory low..exception thrown
# 92 05-07-2008 , 08:48 AM
Cheers mate.

"Im still on space ships because the organic stuff requires real talent."

I would say hard surface modeling is just as difficult in its own right. You can spend ages trying to get the topology and modeling right on a car fender just as you can on a characters nose. + your star wars project is looking awesome.

# 93 05-07-2008 , 06:47 PM
Some render with the wire frames. Also noticed a crease in Venoms back that I somehow missed which is now fixed.

Attached Thumbnails
# 94 05-07-2008 , 06:48 PM
hulk with wire

Attached Thumbnails
# 95 05-07-2008 , 07:27 PM
looking good - not sure i'm buying the crotch creases on the hulk or the tear in his shorts - they just seem a bit prenounced and flowing in unnatural directions. also the color looks a bit too saturated.

# 96 09-07-2008 , 02:14 AM
Cheers for your thoughts Arran, I will do some work on Hulks shorts for the next update of him.
I decided to re-do spiderman since I lost the old one when my hard drive died. I am masking off the webbing at the moment which I will then create a sub tool of.

Attached Thumbnails
# 97 09-07-2008 , 11:42 AM
Got the webbing done although I now need to take it into maya and use this as a template to create a clean version made of quads.

Attached Thumbnails
# 98 09-07-2008 , 10:30 PM
I am modeling the webbing for the suit using the zbrush sub tool as a template but it will take some time. Does anyone know if there might be a better way of doing this. I know I could just create the webbing as a normal/displacement map but did really want to have it as a separate piece of geometry.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated as always.

Thanks,

Leon

Attached Thumbnails
# 99 10-07-2008 , 01:31 AM
why do you want it as a seperate piece of geometry? at the moment it looks fine - but surely you can get away with just using a bump map?

# 100 10-07-2008 , 02:28 AM
I think it will look a lot better as a separate piece of geometry + I can assign a different shader to it. Hopefully I will be able to have the webbing finished some time tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
# 101 23-09-2008 , 06:25 AM

# 102 23-09-2008 , 11:06 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey Bro,

You have some really nice models here. The Hulk play blast looks great! Just gotta put some brick walls in his way, and have fun with some Particles sims user added image

Anyway, as for Spiderman. I think if I were going to build the Webbing on his suit separately. I would do it in ZBrush.
I would use masks to do it (Hold Ctrl and paint) I would paint all of the webbing on his suit with this method, then simply extract the mesh. Obviously this would result in a HI-Res mesh, but it would be allot faster than modeling the webbing separately in Maya.

Anyway, the only thing that I can Crit on for most of your model is probably the Anatomy. It's getting better with each model, but it still seems odd in some places. Like the back of the Hulk.

Anyway, Great work!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 103 23-09-2008 , 11:12 AM
nice work i like the hulk animation and your models are great

# 104 07-10-2008 , 07:14 AM
Managed to get some animation onto Venom. I still need to work on his feet and hands some more on the high res wrap deformer + the textures still need some work. If anyone has any tips for creating a slimy shader for his tongue and mouth it would be much appreciated.

https://leonlabyk.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Many thanks,

Leon Labyk

Attached Thumbnails
# 105 07-10-2008 , 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Haha, the animation had that "I'm gonna kick that guy's @ss, wait, what? Who just said that? No seriously who said that? Bah, forget it." feel to it. I liked that. Not sure if hes supposed to have red around the eyes and mouth though, the gum yeah, but I don't think it goes into the lips as well, and I think his tongue is too flat, a nice slightly bumpy mat with tight highlights would make it look "juicy".

- Genny