Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-08-2013 , 02:52 AM

How to copy a keyframe and get everything with it

I've been unable to figure out how to do this, if it's possible, but what I'm curious about is whether it's possible to copy a keyframe in an animation and get every setting as-is for that keyframe.

In effect, what I'm trying to do is copy/cut a specific keyframe for an object and paste it to another frame, and I want every attribute (settings, position, effects...everything) to be copied with it. So far it seems I can only get position attributes, not color, glow, etc., but it sure sounds like something that should be possible.

It came up when I was trying to reverse the direction of a short clip, so maybe there's a better way than ye olde manual process. But it would still be nice to know how to copy an object exactly as it exists at one keyframe and paste it to another and get an exact copy, color..position..the whole nine yards.
Thanks,
JT

# 2 28-08-2013 , 02:32 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
I can try to look into this when I get home from work, if noone else has answered you by then.

FYI I dont normally get home from work till pretty late

# 3 28-08-2013 , 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm, I'm not sure if you can do that (I would learn something new if you could!). The reason being is that the position info is based on the transformation node of the object, the glow is based on the shader, which could be assigned to a multitude of objects in a given scene.

- Genny
# 4 30-08-2013 , 10:46 AM
Subscriber
I believe you can do this by using the Graph editor. if you have created a key for all the attributes you want then you should be able to view these keys in the graph editor by shift selecting all the correct nodes from the hypershade that have the keys applied. oh and dont forget toggle up and down(keyboard) with a node selected to access the keys for the shape/transform

Last edited by jrm522; 30-08-2013 at 11:08 AM.
# 5 31-08-2013 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
Create a character set of all the channels you want to key. When you select that character set you are selecting all the keys which you can copy and paste from the time line

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 6 12-09-2013 , 03:48 AM
I've never seen anything about creating a "character set"..so I'll definitely look into it. Let me restate what I'd like to know though, just for clarity, since this seems to be such an obvious thing that I can't believe it's not built-in already:

For example, suppose I have a keyframe set at frame 150 for a specific objects position, etc. And, at that same frame I also have set several attributes such as glow, color, and incandescence. The point being that at frame 150 I want the object to do something specific and I need the glow, incandescence, etc. to all change/happen at that same frame.

Then, suddenly I find that I need to move everything so it all happens at frame 140 instead of 150. I can cut-and-paste the key tick in the timeline, or use the Dope Sheet editor and select every setting at 150 and move it to 140. But neither of those methods move the glow, incandescence, color attributes--those still stay at frame 150 (from what I've found, at least.) That's frustrating, since I don't see these attributes listed in the dope sheet editor either, so now they're orphaned back at 150.

Is there nowhere to see a list of attributes (those in the Attribute Editor) and at what keyframes they are set?

And/or, is there no option to select a keyframe in the timeline and also grab every other attribute set at that same keyframe, so you can then move them all together?

As many times as I've needed this, I just cannot believe the capability wouldn't have been built-in to Maya since version 1.0. But who knows..so I'm asking.
Thanks,
JTT

# 7 12-09-2013 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
Hi there.
A character set is what you need.
Note:
A character set is not just for character animation but for any set of attributes you want to key all at one time.

1. Select your objects channels t,r,scale etc.
2. Create character set.
3. Then in the channel box with your shader selected, highlight the channel in your your case incandescence. Then go to menu> character>Add to character set.

Make sure it is active down in the range slider every time you key all in that set gets keyed and moved all at the same time.

S

# 8 11-06-2016 , 08:51 AM

Maya animation with no keyframes set

Hi,

As the title suggests, I don't understand why when I play back animation before any keyframes are set I get movement on my model?! Is something messed up with my rigging?

In addition, I noticed when I delete all history it removes my skin clusters. Why does that happen and is there a way to just delete animation history?

Thanks,

# 9 11-06-2016 , 09:26 AM
Subscriber
Delete Non-Deformer history. This will retain any defomation. Best pactise is to not use delete history on a rig. Make sure everything is clean before rigging..

To delete animation just delete keys.

EDIT > Delete by type > Channels

Last edited by Stephen; 11-06-2016 at 09:29 AM.