Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 05-01-2009 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber

Re: where are all the good videogames?

maybe me but i also havent seen a lot of good games released recently ... the only game which hit me well with a pole was probably when HL2/EP1/EP2/LostCoast was released... Bring back those days i say!

Originally posted by mastone
(My only big question about that game is why it recieved such a high rating by pretty much all reviewers )

might be wrong but i reckon it may have been because the hottie Jade Raymond was director ... user added image

# 17 05-01-2009 , 08:02 AM
It's nice being on the bleeding edge sometimes. user added image I'm still milking my PS2 (sucked into "Okami" at the moment...xmas present from the wife). I'm still miffed over the whole backwards-compatibility nonsense with the various PS3 incarnations...aside from the blue-ray feature, I really haven't seen any mind-blowing games for it, yet...God of War III and the next FF games and GTA games would be the only thing intriguing at the moment unless some company came out of left field with something extra-ordinary. Aside from that, not worth the coin...better for me I guess as it's too much of a diversion from the things I should be doing.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 18 05-01-2009 , 09:11 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by NitroLiq
It's nice being on the bleeding edge sometimes. user added image I'm still milking my PS2 (sucked into "Okami" at the moment...xmas present from the wife). I'm still miffed over the whole backwards-compatibility nonsense with the various PS3 incarnations...aside from the blue-ray feature, I really haven't seen any mind-blowing games for it, yet...God of War III and the next FF games and GTA games would be the only thing intriguing at the moment unless some company came out of left field with something extra-ordinary. Aside from that, not worth the coin...better for me I guess as it's too much of a diversion from the things I should be doing.

I agree, I find it better to stuck with old hardware because youll get a lot more for you money (£5 a game instead of £50) and i do end up getting a lot more done this way...

# 19 07-01-2009 , 08:17 PM
There's a lot of shooters and racers out because people tend to buy those more than other games so that's a trend that probably won't change... But yeah FFX was a great game and of course KOTOR will be around for a long time. And the new Final Fantasy will be released for the PS3 and Xbox 360. I'm not too excited anyway because I think FF12 was a cakewalk compared to FF10.

For PS3 a good game to invest in is LittleBigPlanet because is's really good and it'll have you up all night(seriously all night). And Fable is great for the 360 and will be the last RPG out for a while. And the Wii is full of fun games so there's really no point in mentioning that. There's always Guitar Hero though!

I still think that Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis is one of the best games ever. I still play it every now and then.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 20 07-01-2009 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by AnthonyCg
And the Wii is full of fun games so there's really no point in mentioning that. There's always Guitar Hero though!

My god man have you gone nuts - the wii is for idiots who can`t play games - there are no real games on that waist of plastic. My GF has one and she spends more time editing her Mii than playing games on it.

And Guitar Hero is so stale now you cant even feed it to the birds

Originally posted by AnthonyCg

I still think that Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis is one of the best games ever. I still play it every now and then.

Second best game ever - apart from Super Streetfighter 2

# 21 08-01-2009 , 12:02 AM

Originally posted by tweetytunes
My god man have you gone nuts - the wii is for idiots who can`t play games - there are no real games on that waist of plastic. My GF has one and she spends more time editing her Mii than playing games on it.

woah - tweetytunes - back in your cage! user added image i'm not going to pretend i don't love a good fps on the xbox, but the wii is a good system - it may have a few flaws and not enough good games - but i like it - it seems to be fashionable to knock it among 'serious' gamers - that's kind of lame.

# 22 08-01-2009 , 12:41 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I do think the wii is lacking in decent games (they are there, theres just not very many of them) but i do think it can be good fun

for now im happy playing games on my mac/pc without a console

# 23 08-01-2009 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber
To be fair I hate Wii, DS, Gameboys Advance anything related to the house of plumbers. They have had 2 single good ideas the last 10 years
(the different takes on zelda and pokemon series - i dont like it but i can respect that idea)

I feel they do more harm to the games industry than good

But as i said that's just my option

# 24 08-01-2009 , 01:43 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I dont like mario either.....

I think they are needed ( a necessary evil, if you think of them as evil)
We need the competition or other companies would just rest in their laurels.

Although, having said that, they practically killed sega (and with it the chance for a (proper) shining force sequel user added image (not a first person sequel) )

Sonic could kick mario.......

KIRBY 4 EVER! (<- thats why we need nintendo)

Last edited by elephantinc; 08-01-2009 at 01:47 AM.
# 25 08-01-2009 , 06:09 AM
Subscriber
why we need nintendo still: SUPER SMASH BROTHERS
the only game i think is worth playing apart from pokemon
mind you, the wii is aimed at a different audience to the traditional audience
the market nintendo aimed at is unpopulated with games and so that where they went and thats what the non-gamer girls, mario fanatics, and people typically not associated with games (including hospitalized patients) buy and use.

my theory about the shooters and racing and sport games (the three genres i try to stay clear from, although the odd shooter comes up due to some exception) is that boys like cars and in racing games they get to use cars they wouldn't normally be able to afford
boys like sport and why waste your time and effort actually playing sport when you can play it virtually and not get hurt (worst excuse ever to play sport games)
and people play fps because of certain propaganda

now i can't figure out why people play WoW....

:p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 09-01-2009 , 01:25 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
" now i can't figure out why people play WoW.."

-me neither a game without an ending sucks in my opinion, my fear is however that there will be much more games like this in the future and maybe eventually replace regular games altogether.....

" I'm not too excited anyway because I think FF12 was a cakewalk compared to FF10. "

-I didn't even finish it, i just stopped playing, no engaging story etc.

# 27 09-01-2009 , 04:27 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by elephantinc

Although, having said that, they practically killed sega (and with it the chance for a (proper) shining force sequel user added image (not a first person sequel) )

It was not the plumber that killed Sega it was the Sony

Sonic could kick mario.......

Yes he could - back in the day - these days he`s a bit on the rubbish side - so sad

KIRBY 4 EVER! (<- thats why we need nintendo)

errr no we don`t

# 28 09-01-2009 , 05:21 AM

Originally posted by mastone
" now i can't figure out why people play WoW.."

-me neither a game without an ending sucks in my opinion, my fear is however that there will be much more games like this in the future and maybe eventually replace regular games altogether.....

Why do people play WoW?

Two words: Night Elves user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 29 09-01-2009 , 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by The Architect
Why do people play WoW?

Two words: Night Elves user added image

Pfff Nelfs. For the Horde!!<3 Lol I'm poking fun. Mastone and Chirone do have a point though, the whole perpetual gameplay thing gets old at times, and with server politics, e-thugs, and e-pimps being part of the package it can be a turn off. I can't really say I play WoW on even a semi hardcore basis, I get things done whenever it gets done, unless you're a kid I can't see why it should matter so much. Its easy for an elitist atmosphere to be generated and since its ongoing gameplay, I think that's where it starts being work and thus chases some people away because they are looking for a game and not a committment.

- Genny
# 30 11-01-2009 , 11:26 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
me i appreciate games coz i know how hard it is to make them specielly with parallel programming but i absolutely have no respect for games on the wii and i think it kinda hampers the progress of the gaming industry