Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-03-2011 , 03:37 PM
The Nurb Herd

Sketchup to maya

Hi all,
My girlfriend is an architect student and she wants me to render her design to look realistic. She has modelled it (rather, she will model it) in sketchup. I was wondering if anyone knew what the best way to model it would be. I have had some sketchup models before and they have always been one piece of geo triangulated. This makes it very complicated when UVing and applying shaders... I basically can't be bothered separating the model user added image

Is modelling on layers the best thing to do, or is there an export option i don't know about?

thanks.

# 2 25-03-2011 , 06:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
So you can't just do Mesh > Separate?

# 3 26-03-2011 , 01:29 AM
The Nurb Herd
well you would think so, but i dont think it works.

# 4 26-03-2011 , 06:45 AM
Lifetime Member
what options do you have to export dom?? I know there is a DXF export but Im not sure how it will come into Maya. I would put it on layers in Sketchup if you can then you SHOULD have those layers come across...at least then you could triangulate the seperate meshes or similar. I DL'd the free version and they have omitted all export options of course...so cant help you there

EDIT I thought you could paint in Sketchup mate?? I can.......just applying images then use paint bucket...or is that too rough in Sketch Up...Im interested as I want to model my house for extension reasos and was disappointed I couldnt export to ACAD.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 26-03-2011 , 10:13 AM
The Nurb Herd
i think the only option is OBJ if you have sketchup pro or use blender as a work around.

thinking about it, the mesh separate would work if i select faces by material. i could assign them in sketchup.
THe other problem is that its never on the grid. its always massive.

# 6 26-03-2011 , 10:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Hmmmmmmmm I thought you could export DXF...Im sure you can...but then yes you would lose the material attributes as DXF's are just lines I think...LOL I use them all the time...now I cant remember.

What do you mean its not on the grid mate??? I assume if you are importing into Maya you will have to change the prefs to metres or yards? if thats what you mean?

let me know how it goes...I am watching you on this one dude....I would like to model my house (with Kailanis room) for the Shire...and my old boss would like on too..I can do more in Maya light and texture wise than ACAD.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 26-03-2011 , 03:57 PM
Lifetime Member
check out these import/export plugins for sketchup, they might do what you want......

https://www.sycode.com/products/sketchup/index.htm

lemme know if this works as I have friends interested in same, would be nice to tell them it works as advertised.

# 8 27-03-2011 , 01:22 AM
Lifetime Member
The plugin works Beast...but didnt bring the textures through...and I had to give out lots of info for the trial key...so for $95 dollars per plug-in..dunno if its worth it...here is the Maya file...

Will try the blender option I think...report back later

cheers bullet

EDIT : BTW guys...Z is up (as it should be) and its in metres so change your prefs in Maya

Attached Files
File Type: zip sketchup_to_Maya.zip (7.6 KB, 320 views)

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 27-03-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: addenda
# 9 28-03-2011 , 02:27 PM
Lifetime Member
OK bullet, thanks for the testing
figured I'd leave to ya'll that actually know maya to see if they worked
looking at the costs I had presumed they'd do more than import just lines.......

will let my buds know to just forget it and move on.

# 10 28-03-2011 , 09:11 PM
Lifetime Member
No worries mate...havent tested blender yet

bullet1968

# 11 04-04-2011 , 10:02 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok dom...got the walls and rooms out...will test the layer thing and blenders abilities tomorrow mate.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968