Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-02-2003 , 12:47 PM

Reflecting Fur and Paint Effects

I am fairly new to Maya and am very impressed with the paint effects engine and fur engine. I require to reflect both paint effects and fur but since they are done post-render this is not automatic.

I know I could model the hair (why I'm using paint effects) by mapping poly-strips but the hair looks really great in non-raytrace renders.

Is there a proven (and convincing) method for dealing with reflections and refraction of fur and paint effects? I've heard about compositing images after post-render but am not sure how you would do that with maya. (I'm using Maya4.5)

Would I need to get Maya Fusion or something like Adobe Aftereffects for compositing? and how would I go about it from the maya end?

Hope someone can help

# 2 28-02-2003 , 11:28 AM
Well, I haven't done this myself, but I suppose you could render the scene from the point of view of the reflective object, then use that render as a reflection map on the object.

Get what I mean?

# 3 28-02-2003 , 12:33 PM
Yes I've been playing about doing things like that. It works really well for stills but its a pain when rendering an animation with moving cameras and objects.

Is there a renderer out there which will do such a thing without the need for this special treatment. I imagine the ones that can are all proprietory. Reflections/refractions of fur in the animated film Ice Age are the type of things I am trying to acheive. I know Blue Sky have there own renderer (CGIStudio).

# 4 28-02-2003 , 01:22 PM
Yeah, but no I don't think it's possible.

Blue Sly may not even use Maya fur, it could be their own or something like Shave and a Haircut.

# 5 28-02-2003 , 02:45 PM
True - they'll almost certainly use custom shaders. I've used shave with Lightwave 6.5, didn't know it could load maya objects?

I'll keep on it in my spare time anyway - i'm a C++ programmer so might try my hand at some code to automate a reflectionmap generation for each frame. Problably doesn't even need C++ - MEL would probably surfice. Need to have a look into it.

Cheers

# 6 28-02-2003 , 05:54 PM
In fact, this is a hard problem. I also tried to get the solution. But what I can do is just a little in Reflection condition.

Here is my idea:
1) complete what u want to animate in the sence;
2) save the sence as another one;
3) make the camera in the sence reflect it's position againt the mirror and hide the mirror;
4) render the two sence respectively;
5) use the compositing software to composite the two animations.(According to geometry, the latter animation should contain the image in the mirror of the original sence but just in reverse. )

Unfortunately, I have no experience in this cast. So if you have no idea and have to go through it, try it.