Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 04-07-2003 , 03:17 PM
howardporter, questions are the best way to learn..

Yes the one one the right is a poly smoothed one.

I do all my pulling and shaping using sub-ds.

I add detail in poly mode with split poly.

For my final models i usally keep them Polys because sub-d are a bit more or a memory hog them polys...

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 17 04-07-2003 , 03:20 PM
Added detail to the nose and cheek areas. also made the lips bigger

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 18 04-07-2003 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber
i don t really like the nose but your model is exellent , you made it with your "kurt" style user added image

Sorry but my english is very poor !
MaY ThE FoRcE Be WiTh YoU !
# 19 04-07-2003 , 03:44 PM
I like the nose hehehehehe

thanks mate

# 20 04-07-2003 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
looks great! I like the nose too... and the ears a great as well.

do you have an idea for the body?

another question user added image- when you rig your characters do you use the highly detailed mesh?

# 21 04-07-2003 , 04:09 PM
Might just have time for the head this challenge mate.. have other things that need to be finished...

When i bind i bind a the lowest level of mesh...

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 04-07-2003 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber
wow! thats really taking shape now! I love the point on its head.

# 23 04-07-2003 , 04:53 PM
Made his face longer, an ajusted the nose a bit=)

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 04-07-2003 , 04:58 PM
Kevin
ahh dude !! awesome character dude! is this the head you showd me yesterday??

nice dude very nice... maybe i would try some of the features looking a little "softer" like the v in the head - but this would just be to see the best!

but awesome work dude

# 25 04-07-2003 , 05:03 PM
Looks awsome m8.

www.cgmaya.tk
# 26 04-07-2003 , 05:05 PM
Kevin
fast work dude! I like these alien type dudes! mate you are my inspiration! user added image

# 27 04-07-2003 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
WHOa, this guy looks like hes made out of stone! Great job user added image. All of his expressions are so sharp, every curve is quite strong! Nice technique.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 28 04-07-2003 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
On binding how do you then bind the higher poly / subd version to the skeleton?

I've read about the lower poly mesh 'driving' the subd surface and in Maya Character Animation the chap links them all together and paints the weights on the lower one, but I don't see how the relationships work out- how does it 'know' to move the higher poly one in the same way?

I'm sure it's a stupid question which is why he doesn't explain it, but as I am master of the stupid question I thought I'd ask 8).

# 29 04-07-2003 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Witchy
On binding how do you then bind the higher poly / subd version to the skeleton?

I've read about the lower poly mesh 'driving' the subd surface and in Maya Character Animation the chap links them all together and paints the weights on the lower one, but I don't see how the relationships work out- how does it 'know' to move the higher poly one in the same way?

I'm sure it's a stupid question which is why he doesn't explain it, but as I am master of the stupid question I thought I'd ask 8).

the easiest is to bind the skeleton to the low poly, and then convert to subd with proxy object. just never ever change the subd to standard - or the low poly with the skin weights is lost

hope that helps user added image

# 30 04-07-2003 , 07:27 PM
Wichey there are lots of whys to bind, i just perefer to keep things poly for the final and sooth bind

There is a way you can bind just the poly proxy mode to have the sub-d surface move with it.. but like i said it is a bit more envolved and sub-d's tent to be harder to move and animate due to the fact the computer has to calculte both sub-d and poly meshes.