Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-12-2003 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber

HELP!!! Where do I buy PC stuff in Europe?

Have I been spoiled living in the US for the last 8 years?

I moved to Paris a few months back and am working on building a workstation. You know what? I am having a HELL of a time finding components. Even if I am able find them, they cost 25% more than I'd pay in the US. For example, I could get an ATI Fire GL X2-256 for arround $799 in the US... I found just one supplier in the UK who'll sell it for GBP600... yep, that's over $1000! Like WTF?!?!?!?!?! user added image

I'd ask friends back there to send me the kit, but the problem is European Customs... I'll still get nailed when the stuff arrives at the port!

So, do you know where I can buy quality gear at reasonable prices???

I mean this isn't a small continent!

Last edited by rich; 09-12-2003 at 11:32 AM.
# 2 09-12-2003 , 11:49 AM
welcome to europe! this is how it is im afraid. The US has much more in terms of competition that everywhere else thus the prices are driven down. Generally computer stuff costs 30-50% more (at least here in the UK). But if you order from the UK and it's going abroad then you probably can avoid the VAT tax (17.5%) which might drop the price to a reasonable level. Failing that there's no reason why your stuff should get caught at the port in Paris you're not doing anything illegal. I'd check the importation rules but I dont think it would be a problem as long as your not shipping the stuff in in bulk to sell on in Paris (which I assume you're not) user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 09-12-2003 , 12:17 PM
SM Tea Boy
Try dabs.com, it's one of the cheapest in town. You will pay about 30% more on a lot of items than you would in the US.

You could order form the US and have it shipped to Paris but by the time you have paid the duty you will pay the same amount anyway, also there is still a few items that the US wont export.

I remember a couple of years ago it was actually illegal to ship anything over 400mhz out of the US as it was classed as weapons grade technology, whether they actually enforced that or still do i have no idea.

Welcome to the rest of the world.
David.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 09-12-2003 , 01:00 PM
Subscriber
Typically, most American firms wont ship to Europe. Indeed, many manafacturers have agreements with their dealers that prevent them from doing just that. Even if I had a friend pop down to Best Buy to pick up what I needed, he'd have to own it for 6 months prior to shipping (and be able to prove it) to avoid customs.

If it works out to be a large enough difference, I may go over and collect what I need but I suspect that I'll just bite the bullet and pay the extra. Fortunately, I do have a UK VAT number which will allow me to avoid the sales taxes... If I had to pay 17.5% on top of a 600 pound FireGL card, I think I would be tempted to jump off the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Welcome to the rest of the world.

It's welcome back for me... I was born and bred in the UK until I moved away in '95. I guess I was just a little over-optimistic that things had changed somewhat.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...