Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-04-2012 , 06:05 PM

Rigging problem, Please Help!

I have succesfully modeled my character, placed and "smooth bound" bones in its arm, legs and torso.
However, when i move a bone in the torso, the arms obviously don't follow along.
Is there a way i can connect the arms to the torso, without having the bones in the arms distort the torso?

Thanks! user added image

# 2 08-04-2012 , 06:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
You'll have to post a screenshot of your current setup. Are the torso and arms a single mesh? Is your bones connected to each other properly?

# 3 08-04-2012 , 09:14 PM
Right,

Here's what happens:

user added image
user added image

As you can see, the left foot bends when I move the right one.
How do i fix this?

(oh also, to view the images, right click the icons and copy image adress, then paste it in browser)

# 4 08-04-2012 , 10:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
Look into painting weights, that's what you have to do. You can also open the component editor and make sure that no vertices from the left are being influenced by the bones on the right (look into maya's help for the component editor).

# 5 09-04-2012 , 09:35 AM
I have successfully painted the joints so only one leg would be affected.
Although it still happens! user added image

Does it matter if my two legs are two combined objects?

Last edited by Zebahan; 09-04-2012 at 09:37 AM.
# 6 09-04-2012 , 12:10 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its just an influence/weight prob. As Stwert says you can use the component editor to adjust it but can I ask what was the setting you used when you skinned it, was it the default smooth bind??

cheers
Jay