Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 09-09-2002 , 11:21 PM

terrain texturing?

hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction regarding texturing terrain....im a relitive beginner and dont really know were to start

thanks for the help fellas!

sedric

# 2 15-09-2002 , 05:19 AM
Question:

Do you have one big peice of terrain geometry?
Or do you have a bunch of separate pieces that you made like, hill pieces, valley pieces etc.?

This info will give us a better starting point to help you plan your texturing attackuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 15-09-2002 , 05:30 AM
well....im thinking of texturing a teragen terrain mesh. i imported one as a .obj file but i dont know how to texture it.

sedric

# 4 15-09-2002 , 08:07 AM
Kevin
A terrain video will be in the VIP area as soon as possible, but I will write down a little example later on.. hopefully today

# 5 15-09-2002 , 09:01 AM
Kevin took the words right out of my mouthuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 15-09-2002 , 02:27 PM
cool! i can hardly wait!

thanks fellas,

sedric

# 7 17-09-2002 , 06:24 PM
Kevin
sedric I havnt forgot! I will get something in the next day or 2 user added image.... promise

# 8 19-09-2002 , 05:11 PM
cool, i can hardly wait!....thanks a lot kevin!

sedric

# 9 19-09-2002 , 05:12 PM
Kevin
no prob sedric! Hopefully I will put a quick html version in here on terrain and texturing then do a movie for the vip area

# 10 21-09-2002 , 05:58 AM
cool...i can hardly wait to learn how to texture terrain properly!...

awesome,

sedric

# 11 23-09-2002 , 11:25 AM
Kevin
Hi sedric... sorry mate, just didnt have time to go over this any better. We are doing one for the VIP are that will use projection instead that will give correct results instead of simply adding the texture to the material and plonking on.

But this should get you started and using the sculpt tool

1. Make a nurbs plane - make sure you have (under makeNurbPlane1) that patches U and V are set for around 10.

user added image

user added image

2. Now go to edit nurbs - sculpt surfaces tool and adjust the "stamp profile" in the radious to your desired settings - just put them both on about 2.3 for testing, (my plane was the size of the grid) - change sculpt varibles so it only pushes and pulls in the "y axis"

3. Now pull and push to create a terrain look.

user added image

4. Now go to your hyershade and drag a lambert material from the left side to the work area

user added image

5. Now double click the material and on the right side of colour you will see a little button - point this to file and then to your desired texture.. I created a little one in deep paint 3d.

user added image

6. then just assign your material to the terrain plane

user added image

Hope this helps get you started, just didnt have the time to do a full on tutorial at this point.

# 12 23-09-2002 , 11:31 AM
Kevin
oh and here is the dirt.tif that I used....just so you can give this a little go

DIRT IMAGE

# 13 23-09-2002 , 03:17 PM
Great tut Kev!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 14 23-09-2002 , 04:41 PM
cool tut Kevin! i just completed it....but how would i get snow on the tops of the mountains, and rocky terrain on the bottom?

thanks again,

sedric

# 15 23-09-2002 , 05:25 PM
Kevin
ah..i see.. ramps mate, ill look into an easy demonstration later user added image