Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 12-06-2004 , 05:45 AM

100% cpu with ATI card

Hey guys,

i recently upgraded to a Radeon 9800pro, and am running the Catalyst 4.5 drivers.
After using Maya for maybe 20 minutes or so, i start getting major slow-down issues.
If i keep the 4-view setup, with small windows for each view, it runs perfectly fine, but when i tap spacebar or resize a view manually past a certain point, Maya will start using 100% cpu and slow waaay down.
I can only assume its the ATI drivers, since my old Nvidia GF4 worked perfectly fine.
Anybody know of a fix for this?

thanks for any suggestionsuser added image

*ps. this happens in both Maya 5 and 4.5...

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 2 13-06-2004 , 04:17 PM
Hi F50,

I had a ATI radeon 9600, 256MB and sometimes had quite familiar problems as you mentioned! However, not that heavy as yours. Especially during rendering, maya got stuck, also while zooming and turning my model in perspective view gave problems sometimes... I tried to swich to Nvidia FX5700, 256MB and maya runs better than it did on ATI, no shocks at all... think maya likes Nvidia cards more than Ati's...

Maybe download the latest driver from ati.com? Succes anyways... hope it will work out fine!!!

# 3 14-06-2004 , 04:50 AM
ya, some new drivers just came out, so i'll give those a try soon.

Car-maker.
see the WWW button
# 4 16-06-2004 , 11:34 PM
I have the same problem, with ati radeon 9800xt asus, 256m ..

at all it works fine, but when i set a plane, and change to a orphographic view, zoom or move over there, it really kill my pc... its an 1,5gb ram, 3000 mhzamd.. .so i dont know wtf is going on... help plz..

# 5 23-06-2004 , 07:28 AM
I've finally got a solution user added image

looking at Alias's compatibility list, the Radeon cards are absent for PC users, but the FireGL line is there. Since the FireGL cards of recent years are basically the Radeons with some small changes, there are modified FireGL drivers that allow your Radeon to act like its equivalent workstation card.
the drivers i downloaded were called FreeFireGL, do a google search and you can probly find the link.

now everything works great with Maya, and games still work too user added image

Car-maker.
see the WWW button
# 6 23-06-2004 , 04:57 PM
Good, im glad it all worked out for you user added image my Radeon 9600 runs perfectly, strange that a higher end card wouldnt run.

# 7 27-06-2004 , 08:20 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 30-06-2004 at 12:06 AM.
# 8 02-07-2004 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
yeah i have an on board radeon 9100 128 video card and i get the same problem. but i have 1 gig ram and 2.8 ghz i think the video card is still slow.

# 9 06-07-2004 , 08:25 PM
EvoxReloaded
i think its just Radeon cards in general... the 4.7's should do a little but switching to an nvidia or creatiove card will correct this issue

# 10 23-07-2004 , 09:45 PM

Originally posted by f50
I've finally got a solution user added image

looking at Alias's compatibility list, the Radeon cards are absent for PC users, but the FireGL line is there. Since the FireGL cards of recent years are basically the Radeons with some small changes, there are modified FireGL drivers that allow your Radeon to act like its equivalent workstation card.
the drivers i downloaded were called FreeFireGL, do a google search and you can probly find the link.

now everything works great with Maya, and games still work too user added image

I tried that method, and although it worked fine when it comes to this sluggish issue, for some reason any pull-down menu's in Maya take like 10 seconds to open, and I can see them almost trying to open (I see a ghost image of them open flicker a few times before it comes up for good).

The only FreeFireGL drivers I found seem to be older. If SoftFireGL wasn't such an annoying process to go through I would try that, but I don't feel much like trying that again.... and failing, again.

# 11 27-07-2004 , 07:51 PM
Subscriber
hello guys!

i'm having the same problem with my radeon 9800 pro with maya six....

after about 20 mins or so.....everything gets.. ULTRA LAGGY.....and is only normal when i'm in the four orthospective views......basically i have teh same problem as f50

and also...i happened to find the link for the freefiregl driver...the problem is i'm not sure where to load the drivers to? can someone please help me?

thanks.....also...why are you downloading the old freefiregl driver?

do you think it would cause a problem if i downloaded the latest firegl driver from ati?

thanks.again!

# 12 28-07-2004 , 08:53 AM
well, if you download the drivers directly from ATI they wont' work with your card. the FreefireGL drivers are modified to work with normal Radeons.

i guess i should say that i've switched back to using hte Cat 4.5's, cuz with those FreefireGL drivers all textures would appear 16bit (both in Maya and in OpenGL games). thats more annoying to me than having to restart Maya occassionally (its actually been behaving lately, takes a bit longer to start lagging, and Maya 4.5 loads so quickly restarting isn't hard).

Car-maker.
see the WWW button
# 13 30-07-2004 , 06:20 PM
Hello-

f50- you mentioned in your first post that you had an nvidia GF4 that worked fine...I have an nvidia GF4, but it's not working fine. I'm having the same sort of slow-down problems- it'll be alright for awhile if I'm in 4-panel view but once I press space bar it slows down. it doesn't crash, but every action has a 5-10 second delay.
CPU usage goes up to 100%.

I just went to the nvidia website and updated my drivers, but it had no effect and i'm not sure what else to do. I am a beginner in computer graphics in general, so there may be something obvious i'm missing.

Thanks,
katie

-katie

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe
# 14 31-07-2004 , 06:59 AM
i guess i should mention that with the GF4 i was using older drivers (which were actually made for the GF4 line, not for hte newer cards).
i think i was using anything between the 40.72's and the 44.xx drivers.
you can find those online with a little search.

Car-maker.
see the WWW button
# 15 02-08-2004 , 03:50 AM
Hi guys!

I'm kind of new to Maya and here user added image. I was looking on some more info about Radeons and Maya when I came accross this thread.

Kaydray, I'm also using a GF4 right now and it's been working fine so far. I'm not using the nVidia drivers but other ones called Omega drivers.

If things arent working out, try them out.

Best of luck,
Neptune