Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-09-2003 , 12:29 AM

Really Basic Skin Binding Question

Hey Everyone,

Well, with the tutorials on this site, I'm starting to really learn about this great tool. I just took the "Skeleton" and "Basic Human" figure tutorial and I made some pretty good progress.

Being ambitious, I went and applied the skeleton to my "human" pretty easily. My question is this: So far, when I have binded joints, they have been to individual shapes (NURBS). When I try and bind to a polygon, I select the joints and try and "shift-click" on the shape, but the entire shape is highlighted.

How do I bind just parts of a polygon shape. Hopefully there is a tutorial on this that I just haven't found yet. That guy Kevin who does the tutorials is GREAT!!!

Thanks everyone. I love this tool.

Chris, Baltimore.

# 2 29-09-2003 , 01:02 AM
The Maya Mountain
You can bind to selected bones in the binding options rather than the entire skeleton.

# 3 29-09-2003 , 02:11 PM
Binding options? Is that in the Skin menu?

If there is a link to learn from, that would be great. I know this is probably a very basic question.

Chris

# 4 29-09-2003 , 11:30 PM
When you bind, you're actually binding points ( verticies on NURBS or vertexes on polys)

You can go to component mode F8 and select just the points you want to bind. then select the joint(s) and bind.

I usually just select the joints in the outliner, since you can't select them in component mode.

Joe

rasterfarian
# 5 30-09-2003 , 12:05 AM
The Maya Mountain
FYI, there is no difference in the terms "verticies and vertexes."

Vertex = single point
Vertices = multiple points.

Also, technically, Nurbs do not have plain "vertices" as they are called CVs, or "Control Vertices" but generally, people refer to the points as the same for both Nurbs and Polys.

user added image

# 6 30-09-2003 , 05:53 PM
thanks...i think you have cleared it up for me..

Chris

# 7 01-10-2003 , 01:22 AM
a vertex is a point on a polygon
a vertice is a point on a NURBS

FYI

rasterfarian
# 8 01-10-2003 , 02:05 AM
The Maya Mountain