Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-12-2003 , 06:06 AM
Subscriber

another head... deamon head (n00ie)

i had nothing to do this sunday so i finished this guy.
i dunno how to texture so i guess it's finished for now.
modeled in NURBS patches, perfectly 1 to 1 continuity
rendered with maya standard render....
total hrs... about 7, non stop.:o user added image
C&C always welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-12-2003 , 06:09 AM
Subscriber

wires...

a wire...

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg wire2.jpeg (421.9 KB, 388 views)
# 3 08-12-2003 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
Thats a really great version of that one ! I love the style of your detail. I don't know how to texture nurbs but I hear its pritty eazy.. no UV maping..

great work.

# 4 08-12-2003 , 07:31 AM
Subscriber
oh man pls don't say it's easy. because i don't think it is user added image but i h8 texturing.... and rendering. i guess i might try to texture it...someday. hehe
i am yet to see a tutorial on NURBS texturing.... if it's really easy??? anyone have links. i cannot find any. i've googled for hrs and cgtalked for days, and nothing on this site....
thanx user added image

# 5 08-12-2003 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber
I'm probly not a help at all since I haven't ever really used or textured nurbs.. so read if you want some posibly usless info..

as far as I remember you just make your texture and put it in the color channel. the checker box next to the color. the texture is spaced out along the U and V lines of the nurbs.. you will need a texture for each patch. you could try buy makeing some boxes in photoshop. numbering them and thin useing that for a test texture. to see how it aplys its self.

Just a thought.
I'm gessing that is why there are no tutoreals for textureing nurbs becouse its not like polys.. you don't have to UV map.

There is some about textureing from the Go.... how ever its pronounced whare the tutoral you might have falowed comes from . its called surface paramiterisation I think and it deals in textureing this head. er one much like it.

I don't like UV maping at all.. but there are ways to make it much eazyer.. painting or editing the texture files though is fun I think.

what part(s) of textureing do you not like ?

at any rait.. it looks damn cool how it is !!

# 6 08-12-2003 , 05:36 PM
Hey wow, good job. Too bad it's from a gnomon tutorial user added image But I guess that's what learning is all about! Other than that I think it's a good model. It kind of looks like you altered it a bit too? At any rate, I am also a fan of the gnomon line. I believe they also have a tutorial for patch texturing that same model. Great work!

# 7 08-12-2003 , 05:42 PM
Great stuff.. i hate nurbs but its good if you can master them=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 8 09-12-2003 , 02:58 AM
You got that from Gnomon organic modeling :p
and did a great job at it user added image

# 9 09-12-2003 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
oh yea, the character is based on the same gnomon character, but i could not find the tuts or DVD for it. the images were sent from a friend at full sail in florida. i just basically modeled after some tuts from highend 3d . but i hear those gnomon DVDs r gr8, i plan to get the texturing set to help me on texturing. ( as s00n as i get the $money.... tuition is killing me right now user added image user added image user added image

# 10 27-12-2003 , 12:23 PM
Nice model. I like it alot. Nice detail! NURBS rocks!!

-------------------------------------------
# 11 19-01-2004 , 07:58 AM
Hey, great model

How do you handle the alt key + mouse button in linux??
I'm unable to use it properly in Redhat 9.

.rib

# 12 19-01-2004 , 03:26 PM

i just basically modeled after some tuts from highend 3d .

Do you have the link to the tut??. I haven't modeled anything complex with NURBS before but looks promising...

.rib

My Site

# 13 19-01-2004 , 07:51 PM
Subscriber

# 14 20-01-2004 , 12:01 AM
some scarrry duude.. user added image :bgreen:
user added image

# 15 20-01-2004 , 03:00 AM
Thanks for the tuts man.

and about the alt key in linux.... Redhat 9 messed all up..... so it's useless. user added image