Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-01-2007 , 11:34 PM

Deserts?! Teach me, O wise ones!

:bow:

So I'm trying to make this little short film, right?

'Tis a bitter sweet tale about a robot trying to find e-companionship in a post apocalyptic wasteland...

...only problem is I can't make a post apocalyptic wasteland! :headbang:

This is as close as I've come:
user added image

What the heck is that?! It looks nothing like I'm picturing it in my head... not dreary enough, ya know?

I'm a environment noob. I have no idea what to do. I'm losing momentum on this project, and I really don't want to be!

If perhaps someone could throw some pointers my way? On things like:

- Lighting the scene like a desert (The sun? glowing ground reflections perhaps? user added image )
- The sky? I mean, come on! That's not a desert sky! /cry
- That cool heat distortion thingy... kinda miragey? You know.
- Tracks? How do I make wheels tracks in the sand?! I dunno! ...maybe you do? Hm?
- How to model nice looking sand dunes, perhaps?
-Maybe theres a tutorial on making a desert somewhere that I can't find no matter what I do?

Please help! I will send you SO MANY pictures of puppies if you help!

:attn:

Heres a few of the models I've made, as an added bonus! The main character is on the bottom!

user added image

Oh man... any help would be appriciated! Thanks!

# 2 22-01-2007 , 07:03 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Poochie...

I think you are on the right track so far.

Pointers from me:

Try looking around google for some hi res pictures of deserts, reference is always king!

Skys in the desert vary alot, its not unheard of to have a cloudless sky but maybe some cloud will give it some depth. Perhaps make the blue a bit more bluer and not so cyan.

Add debris and stuff around the place, if its post apocalyptic

Light sources, remember the lower the sun, the longer the shadows. Id higher the light a little more. perhaps stick in another light without shadows but with a little yellow/orange color to give the feeling of bounced light, unless you want FG or GI in MR, but the renders will take longer for sure.

The sand could do with some bump, so in Photoshop create a tileable texture with just noise and repeat the texture on the bump channel throughout.

Why dont you have the droid emit a smoke/cloud particle instead of worrying too much about tracks in the sand.

On a last note, you could be making life difficult for yourself by asking too much, look at the bigger picture instead, concentrate on the animation side of things first then go in and fix the other stuff later

But have fun with it, dont sweat it....

Best
Jay

# 3 22-01-2007 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
I'm guessing, apart from jay being correct on all fronts, couldn't you use a bump map made in PS to make tracks, or import the map through 'sculpt surfaces tool/import'..??

as for 'wise ones' ?? try Tibet! none here! (we're too modest! user added image )

good luck, looks great.

what sort of puppies..?

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 22-01-2007 at 09:18 AM.
# 4 22-01-2007 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber
got this without using PS, used the paint canvas in maya and made a bump map.

hope this helps

your robot looks very lonely, standing there in a wasteland, what a life !!

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 22-01-2007 at 09:21 AM.
# 5 22-01-2007 , 05:45 PM
i think that in a post-apocalyptic land, you wouldn't have desert. most things in the world have been burned down or nuked.

instead of going the desert route, think more of like... the terminator or terminator 2. you've got cityscapes that are mere skeletons of themselves. mountains of burnt junk. smoke. fire. ash. darkness. you can get WAY more abstract with this way of thinking... that way, there is no right or wrong, just your creative interpretation.

anyway... i do like the model. the face has a VERY strong 'johnny-five'-short-circuitish feel to him... but it works pretty well. with the wheel setup and body shape i'd swear it's robo from chrono trigger, but that's just me. nice job so far! and with the many excellent suggestions i'm confident you'll be able to improve upon what you've got and yet make it your own.

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 22-01-2007 , 05:59 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Neostrider

Have you seen Mad Max beyond Thunderdome, thats all desert and ruins so perhaps a mish mash of both, depends on what Poochie is after...

Jay