Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 02-02-2007 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber
thats soo old but yet soo funny! lol... bill gates was a bad boy in the 70's... something like speeding all the time and stealing cars or something? it was in silicon valley, best movie ever!

how microsoft steals the idea's from apple and still does :p there was something a couple months back where when gates was giving a talk about vista when it was going to be released etc, he said everything exactly like what steve jobs said when he released the mac.... pretty interesting,

[EDIT: pirates of silicon valley]

Last edited by marlonjohn; 03-02-2007 at 03:00 AM.
# 17 03-02-2007 , 02:49 AM
Subscriber
Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are clones, its like a star trek episode. Where you have the clone that is a genius when it comes to creativity, however he is unstable emotionally due to his intellect. Then you have clone number 2 who is the sinister one, who does everything he can to get the power he doesnt have, whether that means cheating, stealing, or killing to get it. In the end, they go behind locked doors and try to come up with ways to conquer the species. You know the 2 species Macites and Windonians.

However the Linuxians have a plan to bring the Macites and Windonians together in peace one day, by counteracting the poison of the compatibility virus and the "prettier disease", with their own powerful weapon, opensource.

Im lmao just thinking about it.

www.papalati.com
# 18 03-02-2007 , 05:00 AM
Subscriber
i would go for pc but

wen i went to uni interview they said linux is the industry stardard for use with maya

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 19 03-02-2007 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber

Linux!?

Oh Man I was just thinking about geting Vista lol. I never have used Linux.

# 20 03-02-2007 , 06:38 AM

Re: Linux!?

Originally posted by surferbro66
Oh Man I was just thinking about geting Vista lol. I never have used Linux.

Have a dual boot and use both, thats what i do.

# 21 03-02-2007 , 07:08 AM
Subscriber
Most PC users dont know, that MAC OSX is built on a UNIX Kernel. The same as Linux which is why both operating systems are more stable and more powerful than windows. If I could afford MAC I would get one, now. 2 years ago I wouldnt.

www.papalati.com
# 22 03-02-2007 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
"wen i went to uni interview they said linux is the industry stardard for use with maya"

i tried using that once but had no clue how to even install the dam thing! user added image

# 23 03-02-2007 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber
no, mugshot.??? did he get busted for coke too, maybe him and George were hanging on the streets together then. user added image

dig to see it, you have it?

this ma vs PC thing, its a killer isn't it lol?? useless argument (but I still like the mac, user added image ever had to do a DOS ind of thin for real so I wont have to worry on that score) user added image user added image user added image

linux.., industry standard.?? which Planet.?? planet Zargon!??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 24 03-02-2007 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber
hey man
just saying what i was told

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 25 03-02-2007 , 11:32 PM

Originally posted by mirek03

linux.., industry standard.?? which Planet.?? planet Zargon!??

Linux is used a hell of a lot.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 26 04-02-2007 , 04:29 AM

Originally posted by gster123
As for Graphics standard, I think lots of studios run Pc's more than Macs

I can kinda vouch for that...

As a generalization from my personal experiences with Mac's and PC's, I've found that Mac's seem to run a bit slower; for no reason whatsoever. I mean just running; not Maya, not the internet, not anything...

Anyway, studios are quite commonly time-is-money philisophical, and if it takes a Mac two minutes to power on, versus a PC taking 2 minutes to power on, log in, start up Maya and open one's project...well, you do the math; time spent waiting on your system is time not spent working on...well, work.

Other than this, I've seen no difference between performance.

# 27 04-02-2007 , 06:55 AM
papalatistudios > 'Most PC users dont know, that MAC OSX is built on a UNIX Kernel. The same as Linux which is why both operating systems are more stable and more powerful than windows. If I could afford MAC I would get one, now. 2 years ago I wouldnt.'

Didn't Apple run a promotional thing about their OS being built on UNIX base when it came out? Anyways, I don't consider Mac OS X to be UNIX in its pure form with all its 'pretty' features and stuff. Anyways, at least its 'UNIX like' and doesn't crash every five minutes, unlike Vista which is 'spyware like' with its dial home features'.

mirek03 > 'linux.., industry standard.?? which Planet.?? planet Zargon!??'

You are joking right? Linux is used to run supercomputers (eg. SGI Altix), nuclear reactors (the ones that didn't do a 3 mile island, the ones that did used Windows) and many other things including workstations for Maya and graphics (Boxx).

Most people think that Linux is this really difficult to use command prompt OS but you can get GUIs on them (quite a lot actually, with ones to suit people who use Windows, Macs). Anyways, command promts are much better than GUIs when you know everthing about an OS, just ask anyone who does a bit of 'cyberspace tresspassing'.

# 28 04-02-2007 , 02:21 PM
Subscriber
OK, i admit I'm ignorant about computers, and it seems we are all heading the linux direction.., am I wrong, i get this 'windows is good' 'mac is not so good as windows, but stabler, faster or maybe not faster, depending?? ' and' Linux is stabler enough and virus free enough to be trusted with reactors, and I assume it is fast enough'

mmm???, i am still glad i have the mac, this thread looks like even the guys who don't like macs.., like them??

all very confusing for a simpleton like me user added image

Well to be on the safe side I have both and Have more fun on the mac, maybe 'cose it is prettier, why not??

really, i think one needs to spend a bit of time on both before making a choice, we don't all want the same thing, well maybe, sped and performance!! looks like i will end up checking out Linux at some stage but I have command prompts, i dont have the time.., or do I??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 29 04-02-2007 , 03:33 PM
mirek03 > '... am I wrong, i get this 'windows is good' 'mac is not so good as windows, but stabler, faster or maybe not faster, depending?? ' and' Linux is stabler enough and virus free enough to be trusted with reactors, and I assume it is fast enough'

I think the summary is that no one is supporting Windows here and no one really cares about the Mac vs. PC from a hardware point of view. So I guess its not what kind of computer it is but what kind of OS it runs.

# 30 04-02-2007 , 04:15 PM
Senior Software Developer
The MAC vs PC agrument is older that most of the people in this community. It has been raging on for nearly 3 decades, it will rage on until one goes bust (will never happen in my life time).

No one can determine which is better. It's what you as a person are more familiar with and wish to use. A personal preference, if you will. For others its what they use at work, so there is no choice, you use wht your company tell you to and get on with it. Lastly its software, some software is not created for PC, only MAC and vice versa.

Both OS have there good points and there bad points.

As for the no OS comment...

No Operation System = Expensive & Heavy Paperweight.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 04-02-2007 at 04:17 PM.