Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-11-2010 , 03:52 PM

2d shape

say i wanted to create a 3d 'L' or other to symmetrical shape, can i create a 2D version first then extrude it?
if yes, how do I do it?!

# 2 18-11-2010 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
you can create a image in photoshop, and then import the image into maya, in a way that it will generate a curve for the lines...I cannot remember how its doe...but i know its doable.. ( it might have something to do with paths in photoshop I cant recall truthfully, i just thought it was very interesting when i read about it. )

But once you get the curves, you can use the nurbs tools to loft a surface between the curves, or maybe use the Birail tool , just depending on what your surface looks like and the best method for the geometry you need...Then when done if nessicary you can convert form Nurbs to polys...

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 3 18-11-2010 , 04:37 PM
0_o - all that is way too complicated for me legendofzombi.
I've found how to do what I needed - mesh>create polygon tool -- click around to make a shape and extrude user added image Plenty advanced enough for now.

thanks anyway, i'll remember your advice for the future!

# 4 18-11-2010 , 04:49 PM
The Nurb Herd
there is a text tool... and then use bevel plus. easy.

# 5 18-11-2010 , 11:08 PM
right. it's not that i wanted letters actually - that was just a way of explaining myself. I'll bear this in mind tho, I'm sure i'll need it someday user added image