Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 27-03-2003 , 12:21 PM

reflections

Hi all,

How do you put reflections on one object but not any others, for example a reflective table with a non reflective wooden bowl on it. I tried making the material reflective which didn't work and turned on raytracing in globals which changes everything. Do the lights need to be subtle to avoid burn out?

Cheers. Marcus

# 2 27-03-2003 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber
what are the shaders on the two objects ?

# 3 27-03-2003 , 01:44 PM
Subscriber
assign a blinn or a phong material to the object you want to reflect stuff or a lambert material to an object that should not reflect.. or change the "Visible in relfections" option in the render stats menu

# 4 27-03-2003 , 01:46 PM
The table is a phong and the bowl a blinn, I want the table to resemble a formica work top with a slightly reflective satin surface.

# 5 27-03-2003 , 01:55 PM
Subscriber
then adjust the reflectivity level..

i was in a hurry so,, anyway, here it is ...

assign a lambert material to the bowl and check the attrubutes of it.. and turn on visible in reflections(as in the pic attached in the last post)

assign a blinn or a phong material to the table and dont forget to turn on raytracing in the Render Globals..

hope this is clear..

not sure about your situation though

Tariq

# 6 27-03-2003 , 02:10 PM
Ah just the job. Worked a treat!

many thanks.

Marcus

# 7 27-03-2003 , 08:03 PM
Subscriber
oh btw, you need to turn on raytracing for relfections and refractions to work

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com