Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-05-2006 , 01:38 PM

dog tutorial hard

I am working on Kurts famous dog. I am new to this and learning. I have run into a problem. I cant shape the head correctly. When i go to front view and look at vertixs . I shape one side and other doesnt shape. i watched video over and over . i dont see how he gets both sides done at same time . I know it has to be something simple but i am missing it ..Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

~The Computer Is A Moron~
# 2 03-05-2006 , 01:42 PM
that was the front view

this is the side view

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 03-05-2006 , 02:20 PM
To have 2 sides change the same you will need to delete the half and duplicate it with -1 on the x axis... and make sure you duplicate it as an instance

# 4 03-05-2006 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber
not necessary to instance...kurt would have showed how to do it if it was.
Are you selecting from the side view?
Make sure you're not selecting the vertices individually, but draggin the selection handle around the vertices, that way you select the vertices on both sides.

If you are dragging the selection handle, then most likely you have backface culling on, which means that you can only select what's currently facing you. Make sure backface culling is off so that you can select both sides at once. I dont' have maya in front of me right now, so i can't look up where the setting is...perhaps someone else can help? I think it's somewhere under Window->General->Settings/Preferences

# 5 03-05-2006 , 08:32 PM
yeah- and press Space- it brings you to 4 views- which one of them is a perfect side view.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 6 03-05-2006 , 10:38 PM
Anyone else? The other answers were great but i couldn't fully understand them. Cause i'm still a noob

Last edited by relikz; 03-05-2006 at 10:43 PM.
# 7 03-05-2006 , 10:42 PM

Originally posted by errethakbe
not necessary to instance...kurt would have showed how to do it if it was.
Are you selecting from the side view?
Make sure you're not selecting the vertices individually, but draggin the selection handle around the vertices, that way you select the vertices on both sides.

If you are dragging the selection handle, then most likely you have backface culling on, which means that you can only select what's currently facing you. Make sure backface culling is off so that you can select both sides at once. I dont' have maya in front of me right now, so i can't look up where the setting is...perhaps someone else can help? I think it's somewhere under Window->General->Settings/Preferences

I'm doing the contorting in perspective view.

# 8 04-05-2006 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
I found this pic on the internet. Notice the "Backface Culling" section.
Make sure that's set to off.
The picture is of the attributes of the selected object, so make sure to select the sphere, go into the attribute editor, and turn that to off (also check under Window->General->Settings/Preferences and see if you find an option for backface culling. I'm pretty sure there's one in there, just can't remember which tab)

Also, select the vertices from the side view, that way you know you're selecting the ones on both sides. then you can move them around in perspective view.

Also check this site out. It's got quite a bit of inormation and explains a few of the options and things of that nature. It also explains the tools and where they're located.
https://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/m...Basics.fm.html

Attached Images
# 9 05-05-2006 , 12:15 AM
there's no mesh component tab

Last edited by relikz; 05-05-2006 at 12:32 AM.
# 10 05-05-2006 , 01:25 AM
its not backface culling. Its not, I can tell you that as a fact.

What you do is press the spacebar. Once. And it brings you into a view of 4 panes (front, side, top, perspective).

Now there is nothing special about the 3 orthographic views (front, side, top). You can't dolly the camera but you can pan and zoom. Now go into side or front view (depending on which axis you modeled your dog on. That means nothing special- just whichever side actually is the dog's head's side.)

Ok, you activate that pane by clicking on it.

So click on it and I hope you know how to drag select.

Keep the mouse button pressed and it makes a box and when you let go of the mouse button, it selects everything in that box (nifty, eh?:p)

Now, if you did this in an orthographic view (again, orthographic = front, side, or top) it will select things on both sides.

Then you can move, scale, or rotate that selection, and, since both side vertexes are selected, both sides are affected (ironic, isn't it? user added image)

Can't get any more specific then that unless I were to point out to you which button on the mouse to press or where to find the spacebar.

I hope THAT helps,
Matt user added image

# 11 05-05-2006 , 01:30 AM
pls help me do it symmetrical. and in ur earlier posts, u mentioned about the selection handle. What does it look like?

# 12 05-05-2006 , 01:34 AM
and my sphere looks like this, which is very different to kurt's.

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 05-05-2006 , 01:44 AM
omfg you are really makin' me mad

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 05-05-2006 , 01:57 AM
matt im sorry lol if i'm making you mad it's just that i couldn't get it. but your last post seems to be very understandable and doable. so thanks and sorry again lol. But if i can't get it still..... :bow: :bow:

Last edited by relikz; 05-05-2006 at 01:59 AM.
# 15 05-05-2006 , 01:59 AM
lol I forgive you, and I am finally glad that you understand :p

Sorry for going off I guess I'm mad at myself more than you, I have a 5 page essay due tomorrow and I haven't really started :p

L8er
Matt user added image