Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 76 12-02-2007 , 08:58 AM
gster123 > 'I think I tunes is worse, it automatically changes the format of all your MP3s into AAC so you can only use them on a I pod or I tunes (or it used to) then keeps asking to download updates.'

Does it keep an original? If it didn't its criminal isn't it??

# 77 12-02-2007 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
On itunes you can go preferences>advanced>importing and you can choose between aac aiff mp3 and wav format. About the update when it asked me to update for the first time I just ticked the do not ask me again box, and it hasn't since then.

# 78 12-02-2007 , 09:16 AM
I did that for the updates, still asks me for them...???

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 79 12-02-2007 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
I think I tunes is worse, it automatically changes the format of all your MP3s into AAC so you can only use them on a I pod or I tunes (or it used to) then keeps asking to download updates.

Naw theres a thing you uncheck.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 80 12-02-2007 , 07:09 PM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by The Architect
Does it keep an original? If it didn't its criminal isn't it??

Technically no its not illegal. Once you purchase anything, you are entitled to make a backup of it (as many as you deem necessary). Laws are broken once you sell or distribute those copies.

For the record WMP sucs old rotten eggs. iTunes is great user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 81 13-02-2007 , 01:07 AM
Subscriber
"Laws are broken once you sell or distribute those copies."

what about if you lend it too a family or something without charge? lol :p

# 82 13-02-2007 , 02:11 AM
Yes that would be illegal also, that's a distribution. The law is broken simply due to the fact that the person lending has not paid for the use of the copyright.

"...without prior authority of the owner..."

For example I did a training video of a Scottish Regiment when I was in Northern Ireland, they had 3 songs they wished to use on the video, and since this was going to be shown to potential recruits it would have been deemed to be illegal to show it (..public broadcast...). They were instructed to write to the record companies and seek authority. The authority was given for all 3 songs from the 3 different companies, but it cost them £500 per song, but they paid for the entire song to be used. If they had asked for only a 2 or 1 min section and stated from where it was going to start and where it would finish on the track it would have been a lot less.

Copyright Law is a majorly complex law as it is covered internationally, so if you break the law in Australia and the copyright is owned in Mongolia you would be prosecuted under the international laws in your own country.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix

Last edited by R@nSiD; 13-02-2007 at 02:22 AM.
# 83 13-02-2007 , 02:58 AM
Subscriber
"Yes that would be illegal also, that's a distribution. The law is broken simply due to the fact that the person lending has not paid for the use of the copyright."

ohh ok thanks for that and no i havnt done that lol... no one i know is really into 3d graphics except for me user added image

# 84 13-02-2007 , 05:26 AM
R@nSiD > 'Technically no its not illegal. Once you purchase anything, you are entitled to make a backup of it (as many as you deem necessary). Laws are broken once you sell or distribute those copies.'

What I meant was if you have an MP3 and you played it on iTunes and it changed the MP3 to a ACC or the audio format they use, do you not think that it would be criminal that a program with no authorisation from the user did the covert under the cover of playing the file?

# 85 13-02-2007 , 07:07 AM
No that would not be deemed illegal for the same reason. You now own that copy of the song. Therefore you can convert, edit change, play, delete or do whatever takes your fancy, as long as you do not distribute, sell or pass about to others.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 86 13-02-2007 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
from talking about, copyright etc and music and that... reminds me off a really great song about all this stuff... "download this song" forgot the artist name though the lyrics are fab! user added image download it and youll agree,

# 87 14-02-2007 , 08:12 AM
Subscriber
different topic, this is one downside the new macs have. I recently got one of the new macPro's, but most of the software including maya, all adobe ones etc. is still written for the old power pcG5. The new one is still fu**ing fast, but it could be even faaaaaster, anyone got an idea when they are planing to bring out suport for the intel chips?

# 88 14-02-2007 , 09:16 AM
Maya 8.5 is hybrid and will install and run on both PC and Mac

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 89 14-02-2007 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber
I've got maya 8.0 grrrrrr. I guess they probably want a fortune for an upgrade.

# 90 03-02-2008 , 08:25 PM

why not chime in...

I used windows for years, I mean YEARS. I work as a network / LAN administrator and have for a very long time. I'm certified in MS - have my MCSE (expired now, it was for NT) but still work with 03 server and XP and all the windows stuff. BUT... Last year my wife said that she wanted to try an Apple, so I got her an iMac for her birthday. What an epiphany! I've been running a small photography business on the side since 1998 and often scan medium format negatives at ridiculous resolutions. While my windows pc (3G E, 2G, XP) was scanning, that's pretty much what it sat there and did, I couldn't do anything else, or god forbid, the scan might cancel - they often take an hour or longer. I just learned to live with it's shortcomings. Long story short, after messing wth my wife's I got me a dual G5 and I could scan, be in photoshop, do EVERYTHING all at the same time. I could focus on working on images not tinkering with windows settings. so really, using Apple computers has set me free - I'll never go back! My work productivity has increased, the quality of my work has increased, my joy of photography has returned. And now I'm starting to model in Maya, Vue, and Strata - delightful!