Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-03-2007 , 08:43 PM

High resolution textures without large PSD files?

Hi everybody,

As a bit of Background, I have recently swapped from Lightwave to Maya and am having some difficulties adjusting. I know similar topics to this have been posted before (even by me!) but I am still having trouble with this concept.

The situation is:

I have a building that I want to put a brick texture on.

At the moment, I have made a UV map of my building. I took a 3000 x 3000 UV snapshot thereof, and chucked on some nice brick wall textures.

So far so good, you might think.

But my problems are twofold:

1. The resolution of my brick wall is not quite up to scratch. The actual camera I will be using for rendering is reasonably distant, so this probably won't be a problem, but I am a perfectionist . . .

I have turned the image filter to "off", which definitely improved it, but I think there is still room for more . . .

2. The image file that has my bricks in it is 15.7MB, which to my mind is not quite ideal (especially since I have a feeling the solution to No. 1 might be "export a larger UV map").

I would rather use a smaller file, if possible. And I would MUCH RATHER use a small file, of a small number of bricks that can be used as a repeating image map.

This is how I would do it in Lightwave and have always found that it works perfectly well. I would REALLY like to do the same in Maya, if such a thing is supported.

Can anybody tell me if such a thing is possible?

Thanks in advance

Ricki

# 2 14-03-2007 , 01:33 AM
yea it's possible. the easiest way you can repeat a uv texture is if you select the faces of the building you want to texture, then apply your texture.

as for the texture, you should be able to get away with a 512X512 applied to the color (and bump if you prefer) channels... you'll notice that in the attribute editor, when you apply a file to your color node, that towards the top of your attribute window you'll see two tabs... a 'file1' tab and a 'place2dTexture1' tab. if you switch to the place2dtexture1 tab, you'll see that there's a 'Repeat UV' section. there, you can choose how many times your texture tiles. be careful, though, cause if your camera is far away enough, your tiling texture might be very obvious.

as for 'the resolution of my brick wall is not up to scratch'... i think you just need to build some better bricks if you're not happy with them.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 15-03-2007 , 07:54 AM
I think the problem with the resolution of my brick wall was that I had exported the UV map for the whole building, rather than just the faces that had to be brick - so my bricks looked fine in photoshop, but too low res when rendered. They now look good when rendered too.

Thanks for the how-to on repeating, I will be using this in the future.

Cheers