Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 06-06-2007 , 06:09 PM

Applying then deleting smooth node?

Hi all.

OK, I'm using 8.5 (for the Mac, ugh!) working through a modeling tutorial (Maya8 Character Modeling, ch. 4, pg. 79).

Here, the author is describing applying a smooth node to the model [MESH - SMOOTH], then sculpting on the higher rez model. Then he deletes the PolySmoothFace while retaining the original low rez model with the added sculpt work that was performed on the PolySmoothFace.

When I delete the PolySmoothFace from the input in the attribute editor, or from the hypergraph, my whole model is deleted. What am I missing here? Any ideas?

T

# 2 06-06-2007 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
Hey there,

if you open up the polysmoothface node by clicking on it in the channel box and then knock the divisions attribute back down to 0 your model will return to the base mesh. You can then delete the history if you wish which will delete the smooth node.

Hope that helps,

Mat.

# 3 06-06-2007 , 07:39 PM
Helps completely! Thanks Matt.

Tristan