Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-05-2008 , 02:22 AM

Group Project?

Are there any group projects here ever? I am thinking of something like a barnraising with Amish people.. like in that movie WITNESS... with Harrison Ford.. haha

but instead of a barn we all pool our resources and make some really cool massive project..

The project I had in mind in particular was the original Pirates of the Carribean Ride.

It would be cool to have that on the PC and go through when ever you wanted.. especially since they revamped the ride and it is different now.. it was Politically Corrected... :angery:

I'm a noob though.. so I don't know if this project is realistic.. it's probably way way too much work.. at least to do it right.

Would anyone else be interested in something like this?

# 2 09-05-2008 , 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
I've never been on that ride though somehow I think that would be a big project, dunno if enough people are up for that (not really a big Pirates of the Caribbean fan myself) :x. Its good that you're suggesting community based efforts and there should be more of that, the practice will do alot of people good. Like, speed modeling, rendering challenges blah blah and whatnot (hint* hint* to the admins ).:blush:

- Genny
# 3 09-05-2008 , 04:06 AM
You haven't been on that ride? You have to go on it! It's not something incredible necessarily.. but it has a lot of charm. I love it but I don't know how into it people would be.

But I thought how it would be good for a group project because people could do a small part of it -- one character - and it could be broken up pretty easily.

The way the ride is set up it has different scenes too.. like rooms.. or sets. So you could break it up into pieces and then down the road other people could continue it.

The Haunted Mansion would be cool too..

# 4 09-05-2008 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
Well, I think it is a great idea to be honest. Not too sure about that theme persay. I think what would make that a little more difficult about the original pirates ride is that I was on it like 12 years ago. I don't really remember what it looked like in great detail.

But I think overall a community project would be pretty neat, get some concept ideas and art into a thread pool together peoples resources as far as modeling, texturing, rendering, and such and then show it to the world, this is what the SM community can do. Not only does it give everyone who participates some awesome background work and practice but it would probably also strengthen the community, introduce more people to each other.

I think it is a great idea and I would love to support it and take part if we could ever get one started and would offer up any and all resources I have to contribute.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 5 09-05-2008 , 06:38 AM
Subscriber
there was once a small project like that a while ago with a few people, I can't remember who was involved, some people were modeling, some texturing, some lighting, and I think someone else rendered it to (if I'm remembering properly). It was pretty cool and have thought about doing a group project with people on the board.

# 6 09-05-2008 , 11:40 AM
Thanks for the responses guys! This sounds like a lot of fun!

I think it would be a good way for noobs like me to learn too. Maybe it could be like a form of indentured servitude for us.

The experienced guys get the say on what we do first.. but they help us learn in the process. Then when we get experienced we get to choose what to do and we become the teachers..

Here are some videos on Youtube of the Pirates ride..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIRls...eature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os0B8...eature=related

I just found this in my search.. it's very similar..

But I am hoping we could do better than this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMGQOgu5WXU#

But maybe there are other projects that would be better.. we could all brainstorm about different ideas.

IF we did choose to do Pirates of the Carribean maybe we could add our own flair to it.. make it more cartoony..

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by ExtrudedDingus; 09-05-2008 at 12:28 PM.