Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-12-2009 , 05:34 PM

Using hair in amimation

I have a question hopefully someone will know the answer to.
I've created my characters head, added hair using Shave and Haircut. All is good.
What's the best way to connect it to the character so when it's rigged it moves with the head as it should?

The head is one object, and the hair is on another polgon shape, hidden just under the scalp. I tried parenting the transform from the shavenode and that works to just translate,rotate etc the character as a whole, but once a rig is added it no longer moves when rotating the joint for the neck.
It just stays put where it is.

Not really knowing that much about constraints etc any help would be appreciated!

Cheers.

lol,not sure why I spelt it "amimation"....haha

Last edited by Dango77; 20-12-2009 at 05:56 PM.
# 2 20-12-2009 , 06:34 PM
You could bind the hair to the head joint, that should work. Been a while since Ive animated hair but I ended up soing something like that, worked a charm.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 20-12-2009 , 06:37 PM
Cheers for the reply Steve, weirdly I just did a test on some simple shapes and no need to do anything other than group them together first.
Not sure what I did wrong on my first attempt, I'd bend his head forward and his hair would be left behind!
I'm going to redo it with everything set up as basic as possible and see how it goes, I think I'd double grouped something somewhere that was confusing things!

# 4 20-12-2009 , 07:25 PM
Got it sorted now, cheers Steve.
It was a case of badly organised grouping.
Redone it all and it's working just fine!