Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-07-2012 , 10:40 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Renderman_first Slim_Shader

Hi Guys

I mistakingly put this in the gallery thread ( wasn't looking properly)
So I am doing a repost here:

Hope everyone is allright
Well this is the first renderman shader I made( model was provided by FXPHD, not made by me, I just did the shading)and I am quite happy with it

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-07-2012 , 11:29 PM
Lifetime Member
Looks good Mastone, nice job. How did you get the rust look?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 10-07-2012 , 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Hey, not bad man! The teeth shader is letting down that sexy metal a lot though.

- Genny
# 4 11-07-2012 , 05:10 PM
@Bullet: Thanks, the color(variation) of the rust is done by a spline(a ramp in maya) and is driven by occlusion, so that the rust only appears at the "occluded"( Ie hard to reach) places.
To randomize the appearance ( so that you don't get a hard edge-rust and no rust area's) a float spline was used
@Gect : thank you, maybe he has only 1 brush and chose to keep up with cleaning his teeth instead of his metal user added image

# 5 11-07-2012 , 11:22 PM
The Nurb Herd
Hey, looks cool. Nice work. did you raytrace the occlusion?

# 6 12-07-2012 , 12:34 AM
Lifetime Member
ahhhhhhh cool, must learn that technique!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 13-07-2012 , 06:23 PM
@Honest: Thanks and yeah it is raytraced occlusion..took 28 minutes to render this baby ( could probably be a lot faster if I baked stuff down)
@Bullit: well I say give renderman a try then, you'd be surprised at how qickly you pick up the basics.
Even more so because you don't have a miljon rendersettings and once you get more into it, you"ll really appreciate the Renderman API...it's really powerfull, much more so then Mental ray or Vray ( not saying that they are bad, they just start with predefined shaders, whilest with Renderman you can create anything)