Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-04-2003 , 11:28 PM

A space ship

Hey guys, I'm doing this plane for a top down space shooting game that im doing with my friend. I want to begin texturing it but I've no idea where to begin.

________

- Jacob
# 2 10-04-2003 , 11:29 PM

________

- Jacob
# 3 11-04-2003 , 12:17 AM
Simply Maya OG
Looks pretty good so far. Love the design so far.

- Hybrid
# 4 11-04-2003 , 01:01 AM
Added some bitchin missiles.

________

- Jacob
# 5 11-04-2003 , 04:35 AM
Subscriber
man, those are some bitchin missles user added image.. no doubt. Its a great low poly model! How many polys you have there? 500? If its lower than that than awesome! Anyways, are those missles low poly? I think not.. lol.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 6 11-04-2003 , 03:00 PM
hah you got me there, they are certainly not.
without the missiles it's about 600 faces, but i think i could easily cut it down to below 500.

________

- Jacob
# 7 11-04-2003 , 09:18 PM
Well, if it's going to be a "top-down" style of game, then a simple PLANAR projection mapped to the Y axis should do the trickuser added image

If it's going to be more "top-down with a little 3/4-view", then you might have to do a little more detailed mapping.

For that I would suggest watching Craigs UV texturing tut with his Bunny character, as that will give you a great jump on your mapping approachuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 8 12-04-2003 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber
cool work blinn! Tho its looking more like a fighter jet than a spaceship...Is that the look ur going for? I really like ther missiles user added image

# 9 12-04-2003 , 01:21 PM
Yeah your right it does look like a fighter jet. I modeled it after a Tornado. Any tips for making it more spacey?

________

- Jacob
# 10 12-04-2003 , 02:03 PM
Subscriber
ok well my advice to u would be to make it a more rounded craft. At the moment its rather 'blocky'. I guess it could also do with a top fin at the back. Also maybe u could add some more wings, think X-wing style. U might want to shorthen the nose also.

Try to keep the wing and fin proportions different to the that of a plane.

My best advice would be for u to search for spaceship references. Im not too sure what style ur after but looking at some sci-fi films will give u a better understanding of craft structures. That and imagination will help u no end user added image

Nice work...keep at it

# 11 12-04-2003 , 08:37 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. Now I have to add some different attachments that you will get throughout the game, eg. Gun pods, shields and whatnot. I'll post those in a bit.

I was wondering if it would be possible to just use a shader, or is a texture a better choice?

________

- Jacob
# 12 13-04-2003 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
Definately a texture man, but as Izzy said, if you have a relatively fixed camera, and its a top down game, then you only need one projection (from the top). Make it real easy compared to texturing, lets say, a character. It would just be one image, you wouldn't have to worry about "seams" between different parts of the texture and so forth. I'd be happy to help or get you started.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 13 13-04-2003 , 03:27 AM
Yeah some help would be great Vec, I just don't know where to start. (never did texturing before). I figure I'll do some tutorials then go from there.

By the way, it will be done from a top down perspective, but I'm also going to need to render shots of the ship tilted to either side.

________

- Jacob
# 14 14-04-2003 , 06:36 AM
you say, your modelling a space ship... should it fly on planets too? then it should have something top fin like (45° perhaps) <-are needed to fly...

else i would shorten the mainwings and remove the "backwings" <- just need material and dont make any difference...

hope it helped... but anyways: its a great modell!!

# 15 14-04-2003 , 11:32 PM
Subscriber
Okay, well let me know how i could help, I'm looking to learn texturing too and i know photoshop pretty well, its the whole UV unrapping, mapping, part that sounds like a mess.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2