Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 03-03-2011 , 05:58 AM
Subscriber
Added the Monoliths! Also more detail on the kid, plus some atmosphere and camera tweaking.

haha they do look a little like ticks, harder to squish tho!
In my mind they are friendly, just curious about their new little buddy!

Post done in Photoshop BTW, the straight render doesnt quite have the same punch!

Peace

Attached Thumbnails

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 17 03-03-2011 , 08:43 AM
Subscriber
i like the new angle.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 03-03-2011 , 12:58 PM
Subscriber
Im loving this - but the only thing I would change is the child - at first look you really can`t see what it is, apart from maybe a lamp - Not sure how you would fix it - maybe add a visable arm ?? Also change the pose on the creatures so they don`t all look the same.

But very strong image so far - well done

# 19 03-03-2011 , 01:00 PM
Subscriber

Please tell me they're gentle giants :x

Please tell me they are not hehe

# 20 03-03-2011 , 01:45 PM
Lifetime Member
Saying that tweety...I reckon the bucket should tilt on opposite angle..giving the eye direction...angular irregularity will catch the eye. Then as the camera zooms in on the kids back...so you can see what it is...and as the tick bends over for a look...the bucket falls off...and the kid eats the tick...cool (Im joking both of you!))

I think the impact is, so fa,r something large and alien (the Dentist) is cruising in for a look.

LOL...serious mate it is a rather good pic...invokes childhood really..................

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 21 03-03-2011 , 02:28 PM
The Nurb Herd

Im loving this - but the only thing I would change is the child - at first look you really can`t see what it is, apart from maybe a lamp

huh, is it not a lamp? (:

# 22 03-03-2011 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber

huh, is it not a lamp? (:

I know but thats what it looks like user added image

Anyway - just noticed the hand - looked at the image full rez - which does help sell the idea that its a kid - so sorry about that

How are you lighting this scene - its looking nice and soft

Last edited by tweetytunes; 03-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.
# 23 03-03-2011 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
Hey! Thanks for all the input guys, its really appreciated! yeah the child has been bugging me, ive done some stuff here but im not really sure...

Lightings just 2 directional lights and a basic sphere for illumination. The softness is partly blurring in Photoshop and also a fluid container for atmosphere (edited from the Visor)

Got the creatures rigged up before class thismorning tho and im playing around with good poses. I want them to seem scary, dynamic and curious. just for reference, the 'feet' of the creatures could very easily cover the child and box...

Things im happy with!
-The box
-The creatures (minus poses)
-The basic composition
-Lighting (almost)

Going to change the kid, the landscape a little more and just doodle about. Ill have to finish THIS week to cause Uni has started again, should be fun!

Peace!

EDIT: also the camera is set to IMAX format for those interested. I really like the distorted sence of scale it gives, also looks really good rendered in HD!

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 03-03-2011 , 05:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
A few crits from me if that's okay... I think the posing of the creatures was better before (it's too extreme now) just add a bit more variation. I'd expect that when walking, they wouldn't lift their feet very high. I don't really like the paint splotches on the bucket, especially since they run down... but it's upside-down. And it's the most colorful thing, so it's a bit distracting. Maybe have the child's face turned a bit more to the right so we see more profile, and for some reason I liked the creatures more when they were in the distance (i.e. took no notice of the child). Hope that's somewhat helpful.

# 25 03-03-2011 , 06:24 PM
The Nurb Herd

EDIT: also the camera is set to IMAX format for those interested. I really like the distorted sence of scale it gives, also looks really good rendered in HD!

changing the film back is a strange way to change the camera. I would suggest changing the focal length first.

# 26 03-03-2011 , 06:49 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Did someone say elephants?

# 27 03-03-2011 , 09:47 PM
Subscriber
I liked the bucket down on the head better

# 28 03-03-2011 , 10:31 PM
19 year Veteran
Some Guy, Just curious, but are you going to focus more on the characters instead of the environment?

# 29 03-03-2011 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber
@Stwert: Im not sure about the poses. I like the idea of one of the creatures taking notice and the way the two would be staring eachother off, more curious than agressive. I like the back left creatures pose, thats part of it walking. I might make the front one less agressive looking (hard cause it naturally has an agressive feel to it) and see what that does. As for the textures on the child, thats all placeholders for now untill i work out what i want user added image

@Honestdom: This works for me atm! I dont really know enough about focal length and stuff to do it that way (Sad as i am a second year photography student... We are yet to cover lenses properly though)

@Elephantinc: I did it just for you user added image

@Tweety: Same, I was thinking about doing my original idea of a smaller cardboard box, or just adding a stickytaped antennae or something. Also it made the child look much younger, which fits with what i want more.

@THX: Im thinking environment more along the lines of the atmosphere and feel of an image, creating an environment of wonder and surreal imagery... (i think that string of words made sence :S )
That said i want to add heaps more detail to the foreground like rocks and stuff. Also I was thinking of having a planet or a moon really big in the background sky to make it seem more otherworldly.

Whew!

Toodle oo' all!

# 30 03-03-2011 , 11:37 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its promising start. However......the child....I couldnt for the life of me figure out what it was I was looking at so I had to read the threads until I understood. I think a few adjustments for the child is needed because to me it doesnt compute as a child at a glance, there arent any features as such that stick out to say what it is.

otherwise its all neat

Jay