Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-09-2013 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber

How to put a Logo on a Bottle?

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to put a Logo on a bottle. For the Bottleglas I used miaMaterialx with solid Glas Preset.
I planar map the Faces for the Logo and assigned the same Matrial to those Faces therefore I have the same Matrial twice.

user added image

user added image

But the Logo has a not square shape so I can't fit into layout.I tried to make a Colormap and put it into the Refraction-->Transparency Channel of the MiaMaterial, but nothing happend. This is the Logo.

user added image

I want it like this without those black faces ( the blue marked faces should be glass):

user added image

Last edited by ssd160; 28-09-2013 at 04:30 PM.
# 2 28-09-2013 , 05:31 PM
SM Tea Boy
You need to conect it to the cutout opacity of the mia material. Hang on i did a video on this some time back.

EDIT

Found it

trans - YouTube

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 28-09-2013 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
Hi David and thanks for that video.
How can I make a Transparent Texture? I've tried it in Photoshop with adding a new Layer to the Background Layer and then cut out the backgrounds layer background and merged the two together. Taken this Texture to Maya it was not Transparent,the Background was there. I saved as a Tiff.
Do I have to create an alpha Channel? How do I make this?

# 4 28-09-2013 , 06:11 PM
SM Tea Boy
you need to create an alpha channel. In photoshop cut out the image then select it. Then go to the channels tab and click save selection as channel this new channel will be the alpha channel.

If you can't get it let me know i'll record a quid video.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 28-09-2013 , 06:43 PM
Subscriber
I definitely have an alpha now and did everything like in the video but render looks different:

user added image

# 6 28-09-2013 , 07:01 PM
SM Tea Boy
upload the file with the texture and i'll fix it. i'll then tell you what went wrong

If you want to email me the file please feel free admin@simplymaya.com

All the best
Dave

# 7 28-09-2013 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber

upload the file with the texture and i'll fix it. i'll then tell you what went wrong

If you want to email me the file please feel free admin@simplymaya.com

All the best
Dave

Hey Dave I can't send the Projectfolder because it is too big (28.6 MB),and already in rar. I also tried 3 different mailprovider. What can I do to make the file even smaller?

Last edited by ssd160; 28-09-2013 at 08:27 PM.
# 8 29-09-2013 , 06:23 AM
Subscriber
hello,
Iknow managed to cut out the logo through alpha on the surface.But because of alpha's 0 Information this area is colorless and thus does not fit to the rest of bottles material. what can i do to correct that?

user added image

# 9 29-09-2013 , 05:00 PM
Lifetime Member
If you need to mail large files use something like Dropbox mate user added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 29-09-2013 , 06:17 PM
Subscriber

If you need to mail large files use something like Dropbox mate user added image

Thanks, I just used it. user added image

# 11 30-09-2013 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber

why those points?

why do i have those points on the surface of the glas and the bottle? both are dieelectric with increased refraction and phong coifficient.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 01-10-2013 , 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
I'd recommend you use the mia_material_x, there is even a preset for glass. I think the dielectric shader has outlived it usefulness, you can get rid of the grain but you'll have to use such high sampling that the render time will make you rip your hair out.

- Genny
# 13 01-10-2013 , 08:26 AM
Subscriber
The Problem with miaMaterial x is that the layered shader that i use to cut out the lable does not calculating the diffuse of the glas preset.