Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-11-2005 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber

an Old Orc-ish fellow

Greetings, I realize there are a bunch of orcs floating around right now for some reason, but I didn't realize it was so un-original until after I alreadystarted haha.

anyway, here's my last useful update to it:

Sub-D. I plan to switch back into polygons for the rest of the body... guess I was a bit too hasty to give sub-d a try.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-11-2005 , 09:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Man I cant believe nobody has replied to this.

FB:

Looks very good so far, though could use a little more form on the chest as its too flat right now. Look forward to the rest

Jay

# 3 24-11-2005 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
Looks really good man, would love to see a wire. user added image

# 4 24-11-2005 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
Jay: Thanks, man. I think you may be right about the chest seeming too flat, I'll try to rectify that for my next update
BMS: Sorry, dude, but I was using Sub-D and the wires never look good in that stuff...

Anyway, went back to polys and did almost all i need to, I think. Tweaking and Unwrapping up next.

Throw some more crits my way if you get a chance user added image

user added image

and a wire:

user added image

# 5 24-11-2005 , 11:01 PM
3 letters for you. W O W
Prolly crits though, I would go for that there is something odd about the face, I really cant put my finger on it. But I really shouldn't crit, there is NO way I could do anything remotely close to that.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 6 24-11-2005 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
no worries, Matt, there's no quota of experience that you must necessarily reach in order to crit on a piece haha.

Perhaps the face will look a bit better when I go into more detailing, we'll have to see. Thanks for looking user added image

# 7 25-11-2005 , 10:57 PM
Very nice... but are you using a tutorial? It looks very similar to this orc from a tutorial:

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 25-11-2005 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
hmm that is interesting... I assure you, though, that I am not using a tutorial. It does look very similar... strange.

Anyway, there are some differences - just look at the wire. Any similarities are purely coincidental... I was modeling this mask

Anyway, I think I have the guy unwrapped decently... most of the unwrapping I've done was low poly so this is probably inefficient for non-game stuff

user added image

# 9 25-11-2005 , 11:45 PM
Subscriber
sweet, now off to texturing :attn:

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 10 26-11-2005 , 01:06 AM
looks like a pretty good uv-layout although it's common to give the head more uv-space since you usually want higher detail in that area.

# 11 26-11-2005 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
DJbLAZER: Yeah, that's the main thing I was debating, I couldn't decide if I wanted an extra seam and more head detail or to just stick with a contiguous setup...
I guess I'll try it this way this time around... mainly since I'm not sure how to split the UVs of the head into a different channel haha. Afraid we haven't gone over much of anything on the UV front in class yet.
metallicjet66: Hey man, yeah hopefully I can pull a nice shader off user added image

# 12 26-11-2005 , 03:35 AM
hey, very good job of modeling! can you show more wires and close-ups of the face?
the amount of polys seems quite large...so, good luck with the uvs..
and then, are you gonna rig and animate as well??

# 13 26-11-2005 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
utpal: Thanks, here are some wires of the face. Luckily the UV unwrapping wasn't terribly difficult. I probably won't rig and animate this if I take it back into Sub-D - mostly because I don't yet know how to rig within Maya.

here is a closeup of the face:

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 26-11-2005 at 03:50 AM.
# 14 26-11-2005 , 10:13 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
FB:

Those Loops are spot on!! Nice Job!! Theres just the one on the cheek, the triangular quad that I would sort or get rid of entirlely

I would suggest taking DJBlazers advice with the uv layout though.

Keep up the great work

Jay

# 15 26-11-2005 , 02:28 PM
Subscriber
user added image great model.
but i think u can do more details with t he body still and fix some areas. like he has no niples modeled but he has a belly button.
and the thighs are too small.
i would make a seperate map for the head, and uv it seperately.